Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

+13
Jane
TattyScone
SueD
martinsgirl
Sam
starrystarry
HanSpan
Laura
mmmmchocolate
ninjablossom
LoolaBeanbag
Geordie Nails
JackieP
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype? Empty Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

Post  JackieP Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 am

I'm just pondering whether I should get some or not. I'm currently using Butter London's top coat, and I'm happy enough with it, but wondered if anyone could compare both and tell me if it's worth getting the Seche Vite? I've heard stuff about shrinkage with the SV? And I wonder if the shine is that much better than the Butter London?

I don't really have any other brands to compare with. All I know is the BL was a godsend for me - dries relatively quickly (touch dry in 10 mins, pretty rock solid by 30), gives a nice gloss and for the first time ever I don't have to worry about the bed linen being imprinted on my nails when I wake up. Very Happy
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype? Empty Re: Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

Post  Geordie Nails Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:52 am

I've never used Butter London but SV is definitely my top coat of choice. I do believe polishes work differently for different people, but for me SV dries uber-uber-fast, is a lovely consistency, gives great gloss and seems to have minimal smudge risk with stamping! I can get a bit of shrinkage (on my thumbs for some reason), I'm just careful to go right to the bottom of my nails.
Geordie Nails
Geordie Nails

http://geordienails.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype? Empty Re: Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:55 am

I love SV. I've never had any shrinkage, but I do get hacked off when it goes gloopy half way through. I have a belting great bottle of Restore but I can never seem to get it back to the original consistency no matter how much I thin it.
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 am

I had trouble with it at first but love it now. worth the hype imo.
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks ladies, think I might just try a bottle.

Though the whole going gloopy halfway is a bit offputting, and the thinner doesn't even work? That's useful! LOL.
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 am

I use sally hansen insta-dri (proper top coat - not the drops) - it's supposed to be just as good as SV but much cheaper. Never tried SV though so can't really back that up Very Happy
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:42 am

I love SV, I get the massive "salon size" bottles of it to decant into a little bottle. I haven't personally found gloopiness to be an issue!
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:12 am

I've not had gloopy problems, do occasionally ahve shrinkage - particularly if I end up with multiple coats after adding something day 2 or 3!
I have the Sally Hansen instadry and just didn't get on with that at all.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 am

mmmmchocolate wrote:I use sally hansen insta-dri (proper top coat - not the drops) - it's supposed to be just as good as SV but much cheaper. Never tried SV though so can't really back that up Very Happy
I've tried both and they're pretty similar. I have a slight preference for the Sally Hansen one and it's cheaper so it's a no brainer for me. I usually stock up when they're on offer at Boots or Superdrug.

Touch dry in 10 mins is far too long for me, I'm not patient enough. Sally Hansen and SV are touch dry within a couple of mins.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 am

starrystarry wrote:
mmmmchocolate wrote:I use sally hansen insta-dri (proper top coat - not the drops) - it's supposed to be just as good as SV but much cheaper. Never tried SV though so can't really back that up Very Happy
I've tried both and they're pretty similar.  I have a slight preference for the Sally Hansen one and it's cheaper so it's a no brainer for me.  I usually stock up when they're on offer at Boots or Superdrug.  

Touch dry in 10 mins is far too long for me, I'm not patient enough.  Sally Hansen and SV are touch dry within a couple of mins.
It's possibly 5 mins, I haven't really timed it was just giving an approx. Smile Compared to the last time I used top coat (years and years ago, 10+) it feels like a minor miracle. Very Happy

It's encouraging that not everyone gets the gloopiness! I'll give a bottle of it a whirl anyway and will eventually try the SH too. Smile

Thanks again everyone, they're all invaluable opinions as I know nobody else who uses top coats!
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:38 am

Another vote for Seche Vite!

I've never had any shrinkage, it does get gloopy about halfway down the bottle however. But I found the restore fine. Now though I just top it up from the salon size bottle when it gets to this point and that thins it back down.
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 am

Those who ahve the salon size bottle - do you just pour from one to the other or do you need a funnel of some sort? Also does that eventually get gloopy?

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  martinsgirl Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 am

I prefer Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, I get much less tip wear than with SV. And it doesn't go gloopy!
martinsgirl
martinsgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am

I've been using it but I'm also a lover of OPI Rapid Dry.My Seche has gone gloopy two thirds down but then the OPI does that too Rolling Eyes I think I'm going to jiggle between the two of them for now Smile
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:26 am

My big bottle is showing no signs of gloopiness thus far (although despite having refilled from it four or five times I've barely made a dent!). I guess because it isn't being opened all the time, the chemicals don't have the opportunity to evaporate?
Sam
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:20 pm

HanSpan wrote:Those who ahve the salon size bottle - do you just pour from one to the other or do you need a funnel of some sort?  Also does that eventually get gloopy?
You get a little funnel with it but I just pour, if you pour it too close to the bottle you get it everywhere but if you bring the bottle up higher it trickles out and runs into the little bottle nicely Smile
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 am

I didn't get a funnel....lol, it's easy enough to pour though Smile
Sam
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  TattyScone Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:54 am

I use Seche all the time, same bonuses as others have mentioned. Dries quickly, lovely glossy finish and doesn't smudge my stamping. I find it does go a bit gloopy halfway down though.

I've got one of those professional bottles, it comes with a spout you screw on and fill the bottle using that.
TattyScone
TattyScone

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:03 pm

thanks all. Now need to find cheapest place to buy a mega bottle!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:39 pm

I bought a small bottle to try off ebay. If I like it I'll get a big one at some point.
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:13 am

Seche Vite.... MEH. Its gloopy, it shrinks. I have seche restore and I swear half the bottle went into restoring 2 bottles of seche vite. Now Sally Hansen Insta Dri is marvellous. Hell of a lot cheaper and no gloop.
Jane
Jane
Admin

http://pulliptears.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 am

Well me being the impatient sort, I got a bottle of the SH in superdrug today as well. Very Happy Just used it, seems nice. Smile
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  fellrunner Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 pm

I love SV - I never have any problems with shrinkage and it always dries fast and super-shiny for me Smile

I have the big bottle, I keep my working bottle topped up regularly and add a bit of the Restore thinner at every top up (I have a big bottle of that too). Also, I apply it thick - I think dragging a thin coat over your nail might be what causes shrinkage in some cases.
fellrunner
fellrunner

http://uknailrunner.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 pm

I used the Seche Vite for the first time last night. I was sooooo impressed with it, and then shrinkage happened along the top edge of the nail. Sad

On the upside, I did like the Sally Hansen. Might just stick with that, it seems like the less problematic of the two!
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  Ladybug86 Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

i have had the same problem with shrinkage at the top of the nail its very frustrating but i love the drying time with seche!!!
Ladybug86
Ladybug86

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next