Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has any one bought from Amazon.com?

+2
Sally Magpie
polishedpurple
6 posters

Go down

Has any one bought from Amazon.com? Empty Has any one bought from Amazon.com?

Post  polishedpurple Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 am

Hello ladies,

Have been directed here by pulliptears from MSE. Was just wondering if anyone had ordered from sellers on Amazon.com? Can see some success with eBay and have been tempted to try ordering. The whole VAT and handling fee issue is putting me off a bit, would want to buy a couple of things to make it worth while as there are a couple of ltd editions etc I just can't buy here any more. Obviously that pushes the item price up and leaves me wide open to charges, which is fine as I'd factor that in. Found out through researching that Royal Mail doesn't allow nail polish? Even though I've had many come through the post? Was wondering, do sellers place the item as cosmetics if they are used to shipping abroad?

Thanks for any advice you can give ladies.
polishedpurple
polishedpurple

Back to top Go down

Has any one bought from Amazon.com? Empty Re: Has any one bought from Amazon.com?

Post  Sally Magpie Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:53 am

i have, and it has come through fine.

From experience any package can be opened and duty charged. However, Nail Polish has no Duty, just VAT. So be prepared that it may have a 20% charge.

But. I have NEVER had a charge from Royal Mail for any incoming post. Fedex once, DHL a biggie.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Has any one bought from Amazon.com? Empty Re: Has any one bought from Amazon.com?

Post  polishedpurple Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks Lady S,

Was trying to figure out if all parcels are stopped and charges levied or if it is random. All the import calculators seems to suggest no duty like you say, and VAT wouldn't be too bad at all, just the handling fees that seem quite high!! As you say, hope for Royal Mail perhaps rather than DHL etc. I can see a lot of people order from around the globe polish wise on eBay so it's not uncommon, just not done so myself yet. flower
polishedpurple
polishedpurple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 am

I haven't had to pay a fee on polish yet. Ordered once from Amazon.com and delivery was fab. Tried to get some other items but the seller didn't ship to UK. Ordered loads from eBay.com without problems either, I just check the feedback and some conditions. Sellers that refuse replacement due to damage are to be avoided as I am sure dsr only applies to uk sales so I can't see .com being helpful on the matter.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 am

Whilst we are on the subject quite a lot of indie polish makers set terms such as they aren't responsible for none delivery or breakages to international buyers, but as we pay via PayPal surely we could open an item not received or SNAD case against them like on eBay?
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 am

Must admit I don't know how you would get away with that. Breakages are the sellers problem in my world.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:54 am

I'm happy to buy from anywhere that accepts Paypal as their guarantee hasn't failed me yet and I've had a couple of hiccups. The main problem I've run into is where an item has to be returned prior to being refunded. You have to use a trackable delivery method and this can be expensive and isn't refunded. The Amazon guarantee is a little more flexible in the seller's favour when using outside sellers but again I've claimed and eventually been sorted out. The refund issue applies here too.
I've bought polish from the USA and Singapore and not been charged any taxes or duty yet. Keeping fingers crossed!
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am

Lady S wrote:Must admit I don't know how you would get away with that. Breakages are the sellers problem in my world.

You're one of the good guys though Sal, there's plenty of rogues out there!
I'd say breakages are a tricky one - a seller could blame the delivery company/postal service who would in turn claim that the seller hadn't packaged the item adequately.
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 am

But isn't it the sellers responsibility to ensure your item gets to you safely? Hence why PayPal lets you raise those claims?!

Ohhhh I feel like I'm on the eBay board of MSE!!! Lol
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 am

shoppingaddict wrote:Whilst we are on the subject quite a lot of indie polish makers set terms such as they aren't responsible for none delivery or breakages to international buyers, but as we pay via PayPal surely we could open an item not received or SNAD case against them like on eBay?

I'm pretty sure it's still covered by paypal regardless of the sellers T&Cs. Same as when ebay sellers put no refunds/they take no responsibility for loss etc etc in their listings, they still have to follow paypal and ebay rules regardless of whatever they write as thats what they agree to do by accepting paypal in the first place Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  polishedpurple Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah it's a bit of a minefield really isn't it? Alarm bells began sounding with the lost items advice, the seller I used has a disclaimer that if your item arrives at your mail box and then vanishes, they will not be held accountable, which I had mistook as if it goes missing in transit, you're on your own. Good to hear you've all had some success, luck of the draw I guess. I'm with you, I've always refunded on eBay for damage to goods I've sent. Things seem to get trickier when you have the laws of the different countries fighting one another, so far have two packets on the way, one is from an indie polish co and yup does have the sorts of disclaimers you mention. The risk would be worth it if they are as lovely as they look I guess, just got to sit tight and hope they arrive alright. Such a lot must go through customs every day, can't begin to comprehend how much!!
polishedpurple
polishedpurple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down