Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair...whats yours like?

+19
Geordie Nails
TattyScone
kissmenow9
candyrain
Muffy
RainbowNails
Jane
mmmmchocolate
starrystarry
Jasmina
HanSpan
Laura
Babafette
ninjablossom
annita008
LoolaBeanbag
shoppingaddict
SueD
Wesker
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hair...whats yours like? Empty Hair...whats yours like?

Post  Wesker Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 am

I hate my hair, it is so thick Crying or Very sad

I used to keep it shortish but bf wants me to grow it long, so for last couple of years been trying to grow it.
Really hard at first as it so thick it just seemed to get thicker rather than longer, but with some perserverance (sp) and regular trims, it has got a lot longer (but still thick)
I like my hair best when i have just washed it and it is still semi-wet, it seems to hold a lot of moisture. It is naturally wavy, not quite curly, but when it is still a bit wet before doing anything to it. Once it is dry and i brush it, it just goes into a big bushy frizz afro
With a lot of experamentation (is that a word?) i have found that i need to add a lot of oil type product while it is in the semi-damp stage to hold in the moisture and it looks ok for a day or 2 at the most but i cant brush it, only with fingers ifkwim Neutral

What i'm after is something like this...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

but with minimum effort, i've never been one to spend hours on my hair everyday Neutral

Any advice?
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Hair...whats yours like? Empty Re: Hair...whats yours like?

Post  SueD Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

What about something like Frizz Ease,would that help?
I have the opposite, fine hair that does sod all,and whatever colour I do it, it just goes blonde ,even more so once the sun comes out (like now!)
I would love hair liker hers too....or anyone with long way hair!
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 am

I have mega thick hair and lots of it. I get it thinned every 2 months or else it's uncontrollable!!!

I use argon oil on my hair as it makes it feel soft and less dry. I have a natural wave but I tend to straighten it as I'm lazy!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 am

I have a mahoosive mass of ridiculously thick uncontrollable crazy fuzz type stuff. It's dark brown with auburn streaks (natural!). I haven't been to the hairdressers since Christmas Eve 2011 Embarassed Laughing
It's now too long and gets trapped in a) the strap of my handbag when it's on my shoulder, b) under my sweaty armpit c) the fridge door, frequently Laughing d) my baby and toddlers' sticky mitts e) my mouth (when talking or eating - therefore constantly!!)
I have also frazzed it lighting a fagarette in the wind.
I am 41 and have not a single grey yet though cheers much to OHs disgust, he's 36 and both greying and thinning.

Wesker, as it continues to grow, eventually the weight should pull it downwards and it should sit flatter and less jumpy uppy. Don't let anyone talk you into layers either! The weight disappears and the craziness bounces straight back up into a bouffante big 'do!
I also don't give a stuff about the shampoo I use but will spend lots on conditioner. I've just bought some ludicrously pricey Fekkai stuff but also like the little tubes of Clairol after colour conditioner that you can get for a quid in the pound shops, Boots or Superdrug. They work out quite expensive per ml but one tube lasts me 3 or 4 goes and a pound a pop is a small outlay, even if it's frequent. I also use Tigi S factor smoothing cream, or Tigi After Party (aka pink knob cream, if you've seen the shape of the container Very Happy ).

The bird in the photo has very pretty hair, but you can bet yer arse that she (or someone else) spent bloody ages getting the mussed up casual look before she had her photo taken Laughing
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  annita008 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 pm

i have long thin hair.. it used to be curly but i used some products and now its kinda straight i think haha but i dont know how to say this, as you know english its not my first language, the ends of my hair are like open? if that makes sense ...i need to cut it a bit... if you understood what i meant but i used the wrong words or something, please let me know the right way Very Happy
annita008
annita008

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:40 pm

annita008 wrote:i have long thin hair.. it used to be curly but i used some products and now its kinda straight i think haha but i dont know how to say this, as you know english its not my first language, the ends of my hair are like open? if that makes sense ...i need to cut it a bit... if you understood what i meant but i used the wrong words or something, please let me know the right way Very Happy

You have split ends?
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 pm

LoolaBeanbag wrote:
I am 41 and have not a single grey yet though cheers much to OHs disgust, he's 36 and both greying and thinning.

:

Me nether (am 36) alien my gran didn't go grey till her late 40's so I think/hoping I got her genes Smile

My hair is thin and long - needs cutting but keeping it long.I bought the Tigi elasticase stuff from TKMaxx and I think it's made a difference, does seem to have more body. I want to go blond again but put henna in my hair 18 months ago so the hairdresser says no Sad I went totally blond after 4 months in the sun travelling, must be the thin hair then.
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 pm

My hair is fine, straight and long. It's currently my natural mahogany shade, but I'm getting a bit bored with it so I might dye it red or plum with a semi-permanent colour for a change. Smile
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 pm

ninjajane wrote:
LoolaBeanbag wrote:

:

Me nether (am 36) alien my gran didn't go grey till her late 40's so I think/hoping I got her genes Smile

My hair is thin and long - needs cutting but keeping it long.I bought the Tigi elasticase stuff from TKMaxx and I think it's made a difference, does seem to have more body. I want to go blond again but put henna in my hair 18 months ago so the hairdresser says no Sad I went totally blond after 4 months in the sun travelling, must be the thin hair then.

I dried blonde once and I looked like Pat Wicks/Evans affraid
My Mum made it to 65 and had just a few greys at the sides so I'm hoping that will be some consolation for the frizzy frizz which seems to be getting wilder with age Laughing
Could you not have the henna-y bits trimmed out and go blonde now Ninja? it seems a shame not to make the most of the piddly bit of sun/summer which would surely keep it lighter for longer?
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm

65, thats good going! Smile

well the last hairdresser said we should keep cutting it till it goes. But based on their explanation of how fast hair grows, and the amount I had cut off, it should be nearly gone - but they said it will take another year. I think I just have lighter hair at the ends and they are talking rubbish. I know much better of course than the experts Smile

I did have it properly dyed blonde for 2 years after I turned 30. Got me more male attention for sure - and the time has come to find a new bloke I think... hmmm might make an appointment today...
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 pm

ninjajane wrote:65, thats good going! Smile

well the last hairdresser said we should keep cutting it till it goes. But based on their explanation of how fast hair grows, and the amount I had cut off, it should be nearly gone - but they said it will take another year. I think I just have lighter hair at the ends and they are talking rubbish. I know much better of course than the experts Smile

I did have it properly dyed blonde for 2 years after I turned 30. Got me more male attention for sure - and the time has come to find a new bloke I think... hmmm might make an appointment today...

Why can't you blonde your hair after having henna??!!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm

henna doesn't just layer over the hair like perm dyes it goes right through the hair shaft apparently. So it never washes out and can react with bleach and will make the hair go brittle and break Sad

never use henna. ever.
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:54 pm

ninjajane wrote:henna doesn't just layer over the hair like perm dyes it goes right through the hair shaft apparently. So it never washes out and can react with bleach and will make the hair go brittle and break Sad

never use henna. ever.
I seem to recall Henna actually permeates the hair shaft completely and can react with other substances. I know that people who have had henna tattoos supposedly become more susceptible to allergic reactions to hair dye too. No
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm

I henna'd years ago. Green cow pat stuff and the smell!! affraid

Go on Ninja, make that appointment, new hair's great for the confidence and no doubt you'll be fighting the blokes off!!
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Black, thick and a right mess Smile
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  annita008 Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 am

shoppingaddict wrote:
annita008 wrote:i have long thin hair.. it used to be curly but i used some products and now its kinda straight i think haha but i dont know how to say this, as you know english its not my first language, the ends of my hair are like open? if that makes sense ...i need to cut it a bit... if you understood what i meant but i used the wrong words or something, please let me know the right way Very Happy

You have split ends?

yes, i hate it...i really need to cut it a bit
annita008
annita008

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:28 am

Naturally Brown, very fine, limp as a lettuce leaf. Currently very short and blue!

I've had everything - from quite long, sometimes just left alone and sometimes with layers and an 80s perm - to really quite short. And rather alot of colours over the years too!

When it was longer I used Henna - good quality tatto henna (rather than the vile gritty meant for hair stuf) is quite pleasant to use, and thickens up fine hair. But it is a bugger to get rid of or change
I once went overly orange (think dayglo) after being in the sun, tried to make it darker with black henna (cheap - I was young - god knows what it was) and went khaki - hair the colour of slug poo - fab!
then tried to get it lightened out and went even greener!

With mine I'm aiming to wreck its natural shine and slippyness so I currently bleach it to within an inch of its life, then dye it something else. I tried blond for a day - OH threatened to leave home and once I saw a picture of myself looking like Myra Hindley I agreed;) At the moment its almost white on top - about a month after the last application of blue - and I look a bit like Andy Warhol - definitely needs redoing!

And none of that is any help at all in your mission to tame the thick stuff!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:17 am

A mess!

I haven't seen my natural hair properly in over 10 years. It was thick, mega curly and fuzzy- darkest brown, not quite black but very deep. It was very long but due to thickness and curliness used to shrink and fluff up around my shoulders. Had it straightened and never wore it natural again.

I dye it regularly anyway, currently chocolate brown as I like it lighter in summer. I am trying to grow out the straightener now as its brittle and nowhere near as nice as it used to be- proper chemical overload.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am

Gosh you're all so adventurous. My hair is dark brown, straight, long and hardly ever changes. I did have a fringe cut in 3 or 4 years ago but I got fed up with that after a few months so I grew it out. I sometimes wish I was more adventurous.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 am

starrystarry wrote:Gosh you're all so adventurous. My hair is dark brown, straight, long and hardly ever changes. I did have a fringe cut in 3 or 4 years ago but I got fed up with that after a few months so I grew it out. I sometimes wish I was more adventurous.
Don't worry, I'm certainly not adventurous! My hair has more or less looked the same for my entire adult life. The first time I had it cut shorter than usual I had a massive meltdown and even now I'm still too scared to try a fringe. pale Laughing
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:32 am

This is my favourite hair that I ever had... pinky purple, two years ago

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Gah I'd love to have my hair like that but I can't because I'd look like a dick and my work would go apeshit!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:20 pm

I used to ahve a packet of photos of 'Hannah and her haircuts' as people at work didn't believe my pass photo was really me - so I took them to demonstrate hiw I look like totally different people with different haircuts.

This is the blue - in its better phase of recently cut and coloured (rather than half grown out and nearly white as it is today)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm loving the pinky purple and blue hair. I'd never have the courage.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:10 am

I had bright pink hair too (many years ago now - ah, the freedom of being a student) - absolutely loved it! I tried blue once but it just went snotty green (bleached it to yellow blonde; blue + yellow = green - d'oh!)

We don't really have a dress code at work (unless clients are visiting) but don't think I'd get away with going back to that look Smile Naturally I'm a brunette, but these days it's whatever dark red colour I can find on special offer when my roots start looking a bit obvious (garnier oilia last time - never again!) Very Happy
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next