Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dotting Tools.

+8
nailaddict
backhoe71
Becca
veelicious
Sarah
shoppingaddict
Jane
Gillyx
12 posters

Go down

Dotting Tools. Empty Dotting Tools.

Post  Gillyx Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 am

So I bought some of these a few weeks back but I cannot seem to get it right? I bought the pack with 4 or 5 in them and they are all different colours and double ended. What is the best technique to use them?
Gillyx
Gillyx

Back to top Go down

Dotting Tools. Empty Re: Dotting Tools.

Post  Jane Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:59 am

I'm interested to see what you all say about this. As some of you remember I made my own dotting tool then I relented and bought what sounds like the same set Gilly has.

So far I've not used them, but when I used my DIY one I'd pour a little polish onto a glass coaster and just dip in. Is there a better way?
Jane
Jane
Admin

http://pulliptears.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:02 am

I pour a little of the polish onto a poly pocket but it's very wasteful as I end up not using all of it!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillyx Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 am

I can dip the tools in but I'm assuming I'd have too much product on the stick thing? Usually I can get quite a few looking good and then one really bad one will spoil it!

I do spend a lot of time doing my nails, because A - I'm dieting and it keeps my hands busy and B - Once babies in bed, more often than not, OH is at work, so I need something to keep me occupied! But I hate doing them all and one or two look awful, so I restart those from the beginning, it can take hours Sad
Gillyx
Gillyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 am

I pour/drip my polish on to a piece of paper and get it that way.

I haven't bought dotting tools. I stuck a pin in the end of a pencil with a rubber on and use that. Then I can just bin the pin when i'm done.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  veelicious Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 am

I use acrylic paint (it comes in little bottles and they are sold in most craft stores) you can make bigger dots by drawing a bigger circle like its a pen (if that makes sense) and I love how you can make the dots get smaller and smaller if you do several dots with the same "dip". They are so cheap, definitely worth the money!

veelicious

Back to top Go down

Post  Becca Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 am

Mine were very cheap, and sounds like the same as the OP. They all seemed to look the same on ebay, so just went for the cheapest in the end.

I tend to just gloop some polish on the brush itself, then dab the dotter on the gloopy bit on the brush section. If the polish is glittery, i tend to just dab some blobs onto whatever I have lying around that is "rubbish". That just makes me sound like I live with rubbish, but like if it's an empty can I have yet to take to the bin (evening is usually watch some catch up, drink a soda, and do my nails) Very Happy

I can't really get flat ones, but they're not overly bumpy. I've only just got mine and i'm kinda addicted to them currently. lol!
Becca
Becca

Back to top Go down

Post  backhoe71 Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:27 pm

I've got the same set I think some of you are talking about. I usually blob a bit of polish onto a stamping plate (I can't get the hang of stamping so I may as well use the plates for something!!! Laughing ) and dip the tool in. I clean the dotting bit off after every few dots so I don't get to much of a build up on the tool. Am slowly getting better at it and the dots are definately looking flatter now.

backhoe71

Back to top Go down

Post  nailaddict Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:00 pm

I've ordered a set from Ebay and they sound as though they're the same.......set of 5, all different colours and sizes.

Do the dots naturally sit flat on the nail? If not is there a particular technique to get them flat?

nailaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:39 pm

nailaddict wrote:I've ordered a set from Ebay and they sound as though they're the same.......set of 5, all different colours and sizes.

Do the dots naturally sit flat on the nail? If not is there a particular technique to get them flat?

I'd like to know that, and how to get them even. Mine are roundish, all different sizes and shapes, and varying degrees of bumpy. My nails look like I let a 6 year old at them!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  theotortoise Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:47 pm

When I get bumpy dots it's usually because I don't have enough polish on the tool, or the polish is too dry and stringy. Plus, many a bumpy dot of mine has been smoothed out by a couple of layers of topcoat!
theotortoise
theotortoise

http://www.booteeq.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:56 pm

HanSpan wrote:
nailaddict wrote:I've ordered a set from Ebay and they sound as though they're the same.......set of 5, all different colours and sizes.

I'd like to know that, and how to get them even. Mine are roundish, all different sizes and shapes, and varying degrees of bumpy. My nails look like I let a 6 year old at them!

For me the trick is not to have too much polish on the dotter, and when you go to do it actually touch the nail. don't let the polish drop onto the nail, actually tap it slowly so it goes on where you want it to aswell.

Don't worry about how bad your dotting was, it can never be as bad as my gradient was. An epeleptic fish could have done better. cheers cheers
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  nailaddict Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the tip Lady S Smile

I'm thinking of trying gradients whilst I wait for my dotters to come! affraid

nailaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Do it and shame me Smile I deserve it, they looked like a right dogs dinner as my nan would have said.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  backhoe71 Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Lady S they couldnt have looked any worse than mine. Am dreading this weeks challenge!!!!

backhoe71

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm sure you are all wrong and my dots are far worse than anyone else's dots or gradients - but still not as bad as my stamping of course!

Maybe we should start a thread somewhere for pictures of funny failed attempts - to cheer one another up when things don't work out.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  nailaddict Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 pm

HanSpan wrote:

Maybe we should start a thread somewhere for pictures of funny failed attempts - to cheer one another up when things don't work out.

Good idea! That would be the thread that I'd post on the most though! Laughing

nailaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowNails Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 pm

I use a metal lid from one of those lidded candles you get.

I just blob a bit on the lid and dot the dotting tool in it then onto my nail.
RainbowNails
RainbowNails

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down