Controversial Nail Opinions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  kissmenow9 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm

What's your most controversial nail opinion?

Mine is probably that I don't really like Lynnderella polishes and think it's a lot of hype over some very over packed glitters and not much else :/ There are some I think are gorgeous - Lovelight for one - but most of them have really dodgy colour combinations and glitter shapes that I just hate (bar glitter, I'm looking at you here!). I feel like there are a lot nicer polishes out there and they're a lot easier to get hold of too!

Does this mean I'm banished from the world of nails now? Embarassed
avatar
kissmenow9

Posts : 408
Thanks : 7
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 27
Location : Bucks

View user profile http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  shoppingaddict on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Ummmmmmmm I don't know , maybe!! Lol

I love indie polishes, they are my weakness. However sometimes I do think that they are a whole lot of hype over nothing. Dolly has realeased her valentines collection. I'm not that fussed over it (thank god) but others are going gushy and mental, just because its dolly I think!

With regards to lynnderella I don't have much of an opinion. Mainly because when I realise I can't get them here I dismiss them, so I don't know what she does. I heard about the drama obviously.
avatar
shoppingaddict

Posts : 4131
Thanks : 83
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 34
Location : Suffolk

View user profile http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  HanSpan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm

I've decided I'm not really that fussed about glitter in general!!! If its one colour and all over sparkly like the Rimmel red stuff I love it but the sparse multicoloured effect does nothing for me. Oh and I really don't like bar glitter either.

I think I really might get banished;)

HanSpan

Posts : 1888
Thanks : 61
Join date : 2012-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  LoolaBeanbag on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm

I have an insignigicant stash in comparison to most but I'm already looking at new shades/releases and thinking that I can't justify buying one as I have one already that is very similar, or that I could closely recreate the effect with what I already have. I'm also starting to feel a little disillusioned with glitters as layering can produce a similar effect to may of the indie mixes.

If I was a blogger I'd be producing a 'budget v bust' article on how to mimic many of the pricey polishes with cheaper dupes or combos/layers of cheaper ones. It could be a substantial article!

I think even the manufacturers are realising that there's a saturation point hence bringing out the textures and multitude of effects and add - ons. I'm trying to guess what's next - I'll guess at perspex, true glass, cotton chintz, write -on blackboard, real petals, resin stone (granites, marble, slate) and shag pile! affraid Then when that's been exhausted it'll be back to basics, plain colours and crackle etc. will be back and re-branded as retro. It's just clever marketing and packaging that we often fall for (I'm a sucker for a nice bottle shape).

Another gripe whilst I'm on a roll - most polishes with stars or hearts look pretty in the bottles and are carefully swatched but use pieces that are too big and don't sit flat on a curved nail. I'm also done with fishing for them. And I'm with you on the bar glitter hanSpan.

Not exactly controversial but sums up my niggling cynicism. Reading this back, I don't know how I still manage to spend so much on polish Laughing

avatar
LoolaBeanbag

Posts : 2742
Thanks : 127
Join date : 2012-10-30
Location : The compost heap in the garden of England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  kissmenow9 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:I have an insignigicant stash in comparison to most but I'm already looking at new shades/releases and thinking that I can't justify buying one as I have one already that is very similar, or that I could closely recreate the effect with what I already have. I'm also starting to feel a little disillusioned with glitters as layering can produce a similar effect to may of the indie mixes.

If I was a blogger I'd be producing a 'budget v bust' article on how to mimic many of the pricey polishes with cheaper dupes or combos/layers of cheaper ones. It could be a substantial article!

I think even the manufacturers are realising that there's a saturation point hence bringing out the textures and multitude of effects and add - ons. I'm trying to guess what's next - I'll guess at perspex, true glass, cotton chintz, write -on blackboard, real petals, resin stone (granites, marble, slate) and shag pile! affraid Then when that's been exhausted it'll be back to basics, plain colours and crackle etc. will be back and re-branded as retro. It's just clever marketing and packaging that we often fall for (I'm a sucker for a nice bottle shape).

Another gripe whilst I'm on a roll - most polishes with stars or hearts look pretty in the bottles and are carefully swatched but use pieces that are too big and don't sit flat on a curved nail. I'm also done with fishing for them. And I'm with you on the bar glitter hanSpan.

Not exactly controversial but sums up my niggling cynicism. Reading this back, I don't know how I still manage to spend so much on polish Laughing


Ohh, you should set up a blog and post only cheaper alternatives! Though that would require you to have the expensive ones to swatch, lol.
avatar
kissmenow9

Posts : 408
Thanks : 7
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 27
Location : Bucks

View user profile http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  mmmmchocolate on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 am

I don't really "get" OPI - they just seem to be fairly standard polishes but with interesting names. I've never had any - they may be fantastic quality and completely worth the hype - but as far as I can see, they're just fairly normal polishes with fantastic marketing behind them.
avatar
mmmmchocolate

Posts : 273
Thanks : 14
Join date : 2012-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sarah on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 am

I don't like A-England, I don't get the hype. They look quite boring to me even though they're obviously very popular.

I also don't really get the excitement over china glaze really. They have a few nice polishes but people seem to go crazy every time a new collection comes out and I don't get it because they're not that special and don't apply that well. One or two nice ones in a new collection sure, but people seem to be desperate to get their hands on the whole collection as soon as they come out. Same with OPI really, although I do like OPI polishes for how they apply and last.

Dollish Polish I don't get. She has some nice ones, but they're not great quality really. The few i've had have been difficult to apply or chipped easily.

Models Own I don't like either. Again some look nice, but those that look nice are difficult to apply and just aren't worth it.



I'm a fuss arse Laughing
avatar
Sarah

Posts : 1247
Thanks : 31
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 29
Location : Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  shoppingaddict on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:41 am

Sarah (xoxo) wrote:I don't like A-England, I don't get the hype. They look quite boring to me even though they're obviously very popular.

I also don't really get the excitement over china glaze really. They have a few nice polishes but people seem to go crazy every time a new collection comes out and I don't get it because they're not that special and don't apply that well. One or two nice ones in a new collection sure, but people seem to be desperate to get their hands on the whole collection as soon as they come out. Same with OPI really, although I do like OPI polishes for how they apply and last.

Dollish Polish I don't get. She has some nice ones, but they're not great quality really. The few i've had have been difficult to apply or chipped easily.

Models Own I don't like either. Again some look nice, but those that look nice are difficult to apply and just aren't worth it.



I'm a fuss arse Laughing

You've just listed all my favourite polishes there missus!!! Lol
avatar
shoppingaddict

Posts : 4131
Thanks : 83
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 34
Location : Suffolk

View user profile http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sarah on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 am

Sorry Laughing
avatar
Sarah

Posts : 1247
Thanks : 31
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 29
Location : Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  polishaddict on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 am

I'm another who doesn't really 'get' the hype over Lynnderella.
I have 6 of them and to be honest i dont really rate them, the glitter seems to 'curl' more than my other indies, (and i have a few lol Embarassed )
avatar
polishaddict

Posts : 40
Thanks : 0
Join date : 2012-10-28
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sally Magpie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:20 am

mmmmchocolate wrote:I don't really "get" OPI - they just seem to be fairly standard polishes but with interesting names. I've never had any - they may be fantastic quality and completely worth the hype - but as far as I can see, they're just fairly normal polishes with fantastic marketing behind them.

YAY, welcome to my world
avatar
Sally Magpie

Posts : 2554
Thanks : 107
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 41
Location : Walsall

View user profile http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sam on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 am

I feel the need to jump to the defence of OPI lol - I love them. I do think you can tell the difference in quality using one of them compared to Barry M or something, and it lasts aaages on me without chipping. Even without a top coat.

I don't get the indie thing at all. I honestly can't understand why I'd pay twice as much for a polish that might be awful (seems to be pretty hit or miss) when I could just get a cheaper one that I know's going to be good quality. I was attracted to them in the beginning for all the amazing glitterbombs, because that kind of stuff just wasn't available elsewhere, but I have three mainstream multicoloured glitters now and frankly that's two too many. A glitterbomb's a glitterbomb...
avatar
Sam

Posts : 878
Thanks : 50
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 28

View user profile http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Staceysparker on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:13 am

Have to agree with Sam here, I love OPI. They last for a good week without chipping and are normally quite ahead with new ideas.
I also agree with every one else on the indie thing. They were great when there were a few brands but now they all look they same.
avatar
Staceysparker

Posts : 4
Thanks : 0
Join date : 2013-01-21
Age : 39
Location : Leeds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sally Magpie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 am

I have real issues with OPI and Nails Inc, they won't dry on my fingers.

Barry M last and last. I think its all a bit of chemistry.
avatar
Sally Magpie

Posts : 2554
Thanks : 107
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 41
Location : Walsall

View user profile http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  HanSpan on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Lady S wrote:I have real issues with OPI and Nails Inc, they won't dry on my fingers.

Barry M last and last. I think its all a bit of chemistry.

I've not tried Nails Inc for so long I can't remember! But I don't find OPI really agrees with me - they seem to go on really thin and take far too many coats and too much fiddling to look consistently opaque.
The ones that just won't dry on me are the kleancolour holos. Even the next morning the black stuff was still like chewing gum!

Isn't is peculiar? It can't just be the way people apply things differently so it has to be some sort of chemical reaction.

HanSpan

Posts : 1888
Thanks : 61
Join date : 2012-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sarah on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:31 am

Nails Inc just peels off me Sad
avatar
Sarah

Posts : 1247
Thanks : 31
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 29
Location : Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  stationaryace on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 am

*whispers* i don't really like indie polishes silent
avatar
stationaryace

Posts : 205
Thanks : 17
Join date : 2012-08-25
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  kissmenow9 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am

Sarah (xoxo) wrote:Nails Inc just peels off me Sad

Me too, I've only got the freebie shades but I've had to stop lusting after the ones I really want because I know they won't stay on!
avatar
kissmenow9

Posts : 408
Thanks : 7
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 27
Location : Bucks

View user profile http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  RainbowNails on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 am

I have the same problem with nails inc over priced and it peels within a day. I was so disappointed with topping lane
avatar
RainbowNails

Posts : 234
Thanks : 14
Join date : 2012-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Babafette on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 am

I prefer an emery board over my stupidly expensive Leighton Denny Crystal nail file. Embarassed Everybody seems to rave about it but I just can't seem to get on with it. Suspect
avatar
Babafette

Posts : 3414
Thanks : 127
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 42
Location : London/Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sally Magpie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 am

My crystal nail file makes me sick up a bit in my mouth.
avatar
Sally Magpie

Posts : 2554
Thanks : 107
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 41
Location : Walsall

View user profile http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  shoppingaddict on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am

Lady S wrote:My crystal nail file makes me sick up a bit in my mouth.

Lololol
avatar
shoppingaddict

Posts : 4131
Thanks : 83
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 34
Location : Suffolk

View user profile http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Babafette on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am

Lady S wrote:My crystal nail file makes me sick up a bit in my mouth.
I know exactly what you mean - it's just the feel of it as it goes across the nail. Babafette shudders Shocked
avatar
Babafette

Posts : 3414
Thanks : 127
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 42
Location : London/Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Laura on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 am

I think nude nail polish looks totally crap.
avatar
Laura

Posts : 2727
Thanks : 86
Join date : 2012-10-16
Age : 26
Location : West Sussex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  shoppingaddict on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:47 am

Laura wrote:I think nude nail polish looks totally crap.

Me too!
avatar
shoppingaddict

Posts : 4131
Thanks : 83
Join date : 2012-08-21
Age : 34
Location : Suffolk

View user profile http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Controversial Nail Opinions

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum