Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I made a bad decision today...

+6
mmmmchocolate
ninjablossom
Babafette
SueD
Jasmina
kissmenow9
10 posters

Go down

I think I made a bad decision today... Empty I think I made a bad decision today...

Post  kissmenow9 Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:16 am

God damn it.

I went into town specifically to get some Nail Envy as my nails are horribly brittle and peely - but seeing the price in Boots at just under £20 I nearly fainted and walked away. I decided to have a look around at the other polishes to regain some colour in my cheeks Wink and found the Essie stand. I spent a good ten minutes looking at the different types of 'strengthening' base coat they had and eventually settled on the 'All in One' as that seemed to be the best way forward. I've got home and had a quick look on good old Google and it appears that it's really a bit naff and doesn't do anything at all to strengthen or prevent peeling nails. I should have got the 'Grow Stronger' one. Sad So I've just wasted £9 which is a massive bummer as I'm still unemployed. I just wanted a nice treat for my nails and I stuffed it up. Sigh.
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

I think I made a bad decision today... Empty Re: I think I made a bad decision today...

Post  Jasmina Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 am

Return it as you didn't use it, normally shops are pretty good like that.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

I think I made a bad decision today... Empty Re: I think I made a bad decision today...

Post  SueD Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:22 am

Oh pooh Sad Could you put it on ebay and buy something better with the proceeds? When you get your discount card for Waitrose you can use that in John Lewis (if there is one near you)and they do nail envy ,not much good to you now I know but something for the future Smile
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:27 am

I'd take it straight back as soon as you can and say you bought the wrong one by mistake. Boots should be OK with it as long as you exchange it for something else rather than ask for a refund. Good luck! Smile 
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:30 am

Jasmina - I don't think Boots will take it back because it falls under the cosmetics category :(I might try it on ebay, there's no UK sellers on ebay currently selling it.

Sue - might not be taking the Waitrose job, but I have asked my sister if her double discount at Boots (she works for their opticians) is still live as if it is she'll get 25% off it. Still very expensive though :/

Baba - you reckon? Could try exchange it tomorrow then for the strengthening one.
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:33 am

yeah just go back and say you picked up the wrong one - its not been opened and can you swap it. Should be easy enough!
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:45 am

kissmenow9 wrote:Baba - you reckon? Could try exchange it tomorrow then for the strengthening one.
I guess it will depend on how nice the sales assistant is, but you've got nothing to lose and at least that way you would get the full value for an exchange. It's definitely worth a try, the worst they can do is say no. Smile
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:53 am

kissmenow9 wrote:Jasmina - I don't think Boots will take it back because it falls under the cosmetics category :(I might try it on ebay, there's no UK sellers on ebay currently selling it.

Sue - might not be taking the Waitrose job, but I have asked my sister if her double discount at Boots (she works for their opticians) is still live as if it is she'll get 25% off it. Still very expensive though :/

Baba - you reckon? Could try exchange it tomorrow then for the strengthening one.

That's a shame, they refunded my rubbish nail strips as I was unhappy with them.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:14 am

Babafette wrote:
kissmenow9 wrote:Baba - you reckon? Could try exchange it tomorrow then for the strengthening one.
I guess it will depend on how nice the sales assistant is, but you've got nothing to lose and at least that way you would get the full value for an exchange. It's definitely worth a try, the worst they can do is say no. Smile
Exactly - smile and ask nicely, you've got nothing to lose... And if they say no, find another till on the opposite side of the shop and try again Very Happy
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:21 am

I will give it a shot at exchanging it then. Any recommendations on what to swap it for? Should I go for the Essie I was supposed to pick up or should I go for a different brand? I wish OPI was cheaper Sad
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:38 am

I agree with the others defo go with exchanging it. Boots are very good like that.

I think Sally Hansen does a good range of strengthening polishes?
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:48 am

You can OPI cheaper online Smile Tiffany Nails have it for £7.20 but I don't know what their p&p is.
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:51 am

SueD wrote:You can OPI cheaper online :)Tiffany Nails have it for £7.20 but I don't know what their p&p is.

I bought my last one from Amazon for £6.10 (it was the matte version). It's about 7 quid there now but still a good price Smile 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Wesker Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 am

Have you tried lots of oil on them?
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:07 am

Have you tried Nailtiques? Not cheap but you can buy smaller bottles to try, see if it works. It has done wonders for my nails.

Another Nailtiques fan... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:41 pm

having wasted a lot of money on strengtheners that don't work, I'd say that if nail envy works for you then don't bother trying anything else just because it's cheaper. I'd buy some cheap online (as per all the posts above Smile) and use your boots credit from returning the essie on something different (another pretty polish or even shampoo and toothpaste if there's nothing that takes your fancy).

if, on the other hand, you don't know that nail envy works for you, here's another option to confuse things even further Smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is what I'm using at the moment and it does seem to be helping with the peeling (could see the difference after a week). Got it from the US for about £10 delivered on ebay.
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:07 pm

I wanted to try Nailtiques originally but I decided that was far, far out of my league. I took the plunge last night and ordered some OPI off of Amazon (god wish I'd known about that before I went shopping) so that should be here soon...

Can't go to town today so it'll have to wait til tomorrow to go back, but I've got the receipt and everything so it should be ok. If they say no I'll try and flog it on ebay or something. Thanks guys Very Happy
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 am

Returned it today, I only got £6.49 back rather than £8.99 because of the Models Own I bought with it and the buy one get one half price offer but it's ok as I was wanting the MO anyway so would've bought it full price at some point. Boots staff are always so lovely!
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:24 am

That's good news

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:05 am

I'm glad you managed to take it back kissmenow. Very Happy 
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down