Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I become a UK Distributor

+4
Dragonette
Linzi
Gillyx
Sally Magpie
8 posters

Go down

Can I become a UK Distributor Empty Can I become a UK Distributor

Post  Sally Magpie Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Okay, fess up time, but I am really really unhappy at work, and I need to make a few changes in my life. I do several bits of nail art for people for pin money, and that works really well, but I also want to start supplying polishes that you can't normally get in the UK.

Also, with a business account I can access high end brand polishes and hopefully have a smaller profit margin than some of the biggies out there.

Do you think I could make a go of this?
Is there any demand?
If there was a web shop selling things like this is there anything in particular you would like to see?

I have come to a time in life where I have to do enough stuff I don't enjoy doing, and work needs to be wiped off that list. I want something I am passionate about and enjoy most of all.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Can I become a UK Distributor Empty Re: Can I become a UK Distributor

Post  Gillyx Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm not sure about polishes, but I know of a few women who have become UK distributors for cloth nappies. Certain brands were only available in the states, so they have brought them from there and onto there own websites Smile

I know when I've bought, I've bought from them as I know it's come faster and I won't be hit with customs charges. Probably not the same though Embarassed
Gillyx
Gillyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 pm

This will sound awful, but I am not into nappies, LOL.

I have been in touch with the OPI distributor and even with postage costs I think I could make a profit and sell for less than you get in the high street. In our local shopping centre they are £9.95.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillyx Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Haha I know, was just an example Smile but they do seem to be making a fair bit from it, so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't with nail stuff (if you see what I mean?)

Gillyx
Gillyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah I understand.

Being a purchaser I know how frustrating it is when I cannot make purchases because places only deliver to the USA or Europe. That or you have to pay through the nose for stuff off ebay.

Of course I want to make a profit as this would be my livelihood, but, I think also I could give good service to people at a reasonable price.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Linzi Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Lady S wrote:Okay, fess up time, but I am really really unhappy at work, and I need to make a few changes in my life. I do several bits of nail art for people for pin money, and that works really well, but I also want to start supplying polishes that you can't normally get in the UK.

Also, with a business account I can access high end brand polishes and hopefully have a smaller profit margin than some of the biggies out there.

Do you think I could make a go of this?
Is there any demand?
If there was a web shop selling things like this is there anything in particular you would like to see?

I have come to a time in life where I have to do enough stuff I don't enjoy doing, and work needs to be wiped off that list. I want something I am passionate about and enjoy most of all.
I should think so, yes!

Being a distributor could be a lot of work though, depending on the brands you bring in, but I think it's a great idea cos, like you say, there are some great brands out there that just aren't available here and it's a real PITA when you want something.

The thing to remember is that, yes, you wan to give everyone a fair price but this is how you pay your bills so you need to make sure that you will be making enough on each product as well - don't undercut yourself.
Linzi
Linzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonette Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 pm

As well as your hourly rate of pay, remember to factor in the time it takes to do the paperwork and tax returns (private and business) and customs paperwork. I know nothing about customs charges for business but can imagine they would be quite high for luxury items.
Oh and enough profit to sort a pension too!

If the costs all work out that you can afford the above and undercut big retailers/bring in other brands then it would be fantastic, but make sure you don't lose out doing it.
Dragonette
Dragonette

Back to top Go down

Post  Peony Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:33 pm

I think it'd would be more the number of units you'd have to commit to that might be an issue over the price. Having said that you already have a good customer base here and now we're not on MSE we don't have to feel too guilty about buying stuff Twisted Evil

Peony

http://1008hollywalkpark.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 am

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Maybe staying away from the 'big brands' like OPI etc at first would work better so you could keep your initial outlay low incase it doesn't work out or takes time to build a customer base? Rather than chucking in the job straight off and launching in to it, would going part time to start with as you gradually build up your business work?

Salons, mobile nail techs etc may be interested in selling on your behalf as well if you can get unique polishes - it would give them something the salon down the road doesn't have Cool

I would love to be able to buy some similar to the ones on ninjapolish etc over here though! Gems, stamps, etc over here rather than importing would be nice too. I'm always wary about buying from China for things that will go on my nails but the difference between a few pence and the prices UK sellers charge is insane.

Be careful to read up on laws etc as some polishes from other countries may have ingredients that aren't allowed over here. I think Dollish Polish is having issues with something like this at the moment. But she makes her own so it may be different.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:23 am

I think it would be brill idea, especially if you got stuff that isn't readily available in the UK. I get lots shipped over from USA and the postage has been horrific.

Not mention the ages wait to get my prettys!! (that's what my niece calls my polishes)
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 am

xoxo wrote:I think it's a brilliant idea.

Maybe staying away from the 'big brands' like OPI etc at first would work better so you could keep your initial outlay low incase it doesn't work out or takes time to build a customer base? Rather than chucking in the job straight off and launching in to it, would going part time to start with as you gradually build up your business work?

Salons, mobile nail techs etc may be interested in selling on your behalf as well if you can get unique polishes - it would give them something the salon down the road doesn't have Cool

I would love to be able to buy some similar to the ones on ninjapolish etc over here though! Gems, stamps, etc over here rather than importing would be nice too. I'm always wary about buying from China for things that will go on my nails but the difference between a few pence and the prices UK sellers charge is insane.

Be careful to read up on laws etc as some polishes from other countries may have ingredients that aren't allowed over here. I think Dollish Polish is having issues with something like this at the moment. But she makes her own so it may be different.

Hummm I've just ordered from Dollish Pollish and she said that she ships to the uk ok, hopefully they'll get here!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:33 am

They'll get here ok! It's only bottles she makes from now on that are affected
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:05 am

xoxo wrote:They'll get here ok! It's only bottles she makes from now on that are affected

What's the problem with them?
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 am

Something to do with the spectraflair pigment scratch
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 am

Oh that, yes I bought a bottle of heart of glass!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  theotortoise Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I contacted Picture Polish a while ago about becoming a UK distributer, but there was an awful lot of hassle and outlay that it put me off. It's definitely something you have to be completely committed to doing.
theotortoise
theotortoise

http://www.booteeq.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum