Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone else...

+9
LoolaBeanbag
Whoami
Lain
HanSpan
fellrunner
Sam
shoppingaddict
star_struck
Jasmina
13 posters

Go down

Does anyone else... Empty Does anyone else...

Post  Jasmina Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 am

... Get too carried away when filing their nails?
Just tried to do a bit of maintenance as my thumb nail chipped and somehow ended up reducing the length considerably. I am still now happy with the shape but don't want to fiddle about anymore incase I completely ruin them. I also have wonky finger and some look uneven when they are straight, only noticing it so much now as they are growing longer and stronger.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else... Empty Re: Does anyone else...

Post  star_struck Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:48 am

I have the same problem - I get so caught up in making the shape perfect, that they end up far too short!
star_struck
star_struck

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:56 am

I'm really anal about it. I'll only take off the smallest bit necessary to tidy them up. Hate it when I break a corner off because that means I have to round all my other nails off and I hate my nails round!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 am

I can't stand filing my nails, it's so boring. I go for a quick back and fore (I know, I know) along each nail to keep them a sensible length and that's it.
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:02 am

shoppingaddict wrote:I'm really anal about it. I'll only take off the smallest bit necessary to tidy them up. Hate it when I break a corner off because that means I have to round all my other nails off and I hate my nails round!

exactly my problem with square nails, love the shape hate chipping the corner. I sometime try for squoval but end up rounding too much.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  fellrunner Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:19 am

Jasmina wrote:
shoppingaddict wrote:I'm really anal about it. I'll only take off the smallest bit necessary to tidy them up. Hate it when I break a corner off because that means I have to round all my other nails off and I hate my nails round!

exactly my problem with square nails, love the shape hate chipping the corner. I sometime try for squoval but end up rounding too much.

I also love square but hate chipping the corners. My current shape (stilleto) avoids that frustration!
fellrunner
fellrunner

http://uknailrunner.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 am

fellrunner wrote:
Jasmina wrote:

I also love square but hate chipping the corners. My current shape (stilleto) avoids that frustration!

Have you ever snapped in that shape at all? your nails look uniform and very consistent, is it hard to start off?

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:39 pm

All my fingers are a bit wonkly, and the nail line doesn't line up with anything on several so I generally file with polish on as otherwise they look OK nude and really weird painted. Even then they are all a buit odd as the little and ring finger nauils are really curved but the rest not so much.

Fortunately mine grow pretty quick so they are short today but won't be for long, These days I am a total convert to Leighton Denny crystal files as I can reduce the lnegth quickly and just saw back and forth to my hearts content.

My current issue is that my nails have always been really hard and strong and rarely break but at the moment I seem to keep stabbing things with my middle fingers and those two have gone a bit bendy and keep breaking. Thanks goodness for teabags and superglue!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  fellrunner Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:22 am

Jasmina wrote:
fellrunner wrote:
Jasmina wrote:

Have you ever snapped in that shape at all? your nails look uniform and very consistent, is it hard to start off?

Occasional small chips to the very end; I just shorten them all a bit to match. They are naturally very strong though.

It's not hard to start off - this time round I started off from quite short squares when I snapped the corner off my thumbnail (have a look at some of the first posts in my blog from around February). Then just keep the shape by regular filing. Last spring I went from long squares (a bit unwieldy for typing etc) and just filed into a stiletto shape.
fellrunner
fellrunner

http://uknailrunner.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lain Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:37 am

I file into stilettos too Smile With squares the corners always broke off, they are a lot stronger now in this shape. I usually file into ovals to start off with when growing them out to this shape.

I have a problem with filing my left hand, then getting bored and not wanting to be bothered to file the right nails.
Lain
Lain

Back to top Go down

Post  Whoami Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:26 am

I read on someone's blog (ages ago so can't remember whose Rolling Eyes ) that they, like Hanspan, file with polish on so that you're not fooled by the nail lines which aren't all even. I love square nails but can't stand the sharp points so I try to make a squoval and end up with oval nails Razz 

Whoami

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am

I tend to file mine pissed with or without polish on! I'd love to try stiletto shape but I'd be worried about spearing the small people affraid 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 am

Whoami wrote:I read on someone's blog (ages ago so can't remember whose Rolling Eyes )  that they, like Hanspan, file with polish on so that you're not fooled by the nail lines which aren't all even.  I love square nails but can't stand the sharp points so I try to make a squoval and end up with oval nails Razz 
I do this too. It's easier to see whether they're all the same sort of length when you have polish on. Smile
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Babafette wrote:
Whoami wrote:I read on someone's blog (ages ago so can't remember whose Rolling Eyes )  that they, like Hanspan, file with polish on so that you're not fooled by the nail lines which aren't all even.  I love square nails but can't stand the sharp points so I try to make a squoval and end up with oval nails Razz 
I do this too. It's easier to see whether they're all the same sort of length when you have polish on. Smile

It's a fantastic idea! Why didn't I think of it?!
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I hate filing my nails, I very rarely do it. I like mine rounded though!
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 am

mmmmchocolate wrote:
Babafette wrote:

It's a fantastic idea! Why didn't I think of it?!

Trouble is, I keep remembering this after I've taken my polish off ...Embarassed 
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 am

I'm sat here browsing whilst removing polish...and bugger,I've forgotten to file them again! Embarassed Evil or Very Mad 
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  Lain Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 am

+1 on filing with polish still on! Helps so much.
Lain
Lain

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:13 am

My nails are so long, I really need to cut and file them but I just can't be bothered at the moment. Neutral
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:36 am

Babafette wrote:My nails are so long, I really need to cut and file them but I just can't be bothered at the moment. Neutral

Yep mine are getting that tricky typing length to, it's just hassle to get it done!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:12 am

shoppingaddict wrote:
Babafette wrote:My nails are so long, I really need to cut and file them but I just can't be bothered at the moment. Neutral

Yep mine are getting that tricky typing length to, it's just hassle to get it done!
It would no doubt have been an amusing scene for an onlooker witnessing me attempting to punch numbers into my mobile earlier today. Shocked
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum