Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

+13
Jane
TattyScone
SueD
martinsgirl
Sam
starrystarry
HanSpan
Laura
mmmmchocolate
ninjablossom
LoolaBeanbag
Geordie Nails
JackieP
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype? - Page 2 Empty Re: Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

Post  JackieP Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm

I've been reading that 'wrapping' your nails can prevent the shrinkage, so I'll try that. I do really, really, like the super glossy shine on the SV, so if I can get around it this way...

Otherwise the SH seems fine, just not quite as glossy! I do love the Butter London top coat as well, but at 15 quid a bottle...
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Seche vite top coat - worth the hype? - Page 2 Empty Re: Seche vite top coat - worth the hype?

Post  Ladybug86 Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 pm

wrapping as in painting allong the top edge of the nail?

I have to say i haven't tried that in all my years of using seche? will give that a go bounce 
Ladybug86
Ladybug86

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Ladybug86 wrote:wrapping as in painting allong the top edge of the nail?

I have to say i haven't tried that in all my years of using seche? will give that a go bounce 
Yep, just painting the very edge. Which sounds a lot easier than it actually is, lol.
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:32 am

I stopped using SV because of shrinkage. I started tip wrapping to prevent that then it shrunk around my cuticles instead!!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 am

shoppingaddict wrote:I stopped using SV because of shrinkage. I started tip wrapping to prevent that then it shrunk around my cuticles instead!!
Damn, there goes my master plan, lol.
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:24 am

You might have better luck than me!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ladybug86 Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 am

Could it work having another top coat first and then popping SV on top after
Ladybug86
Ladybug86

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Well I tried again last night, and finally had success, hurrah!

It seems wrapping the nail tips works for me. So I guess I'm well on the road to being a Seche Vite fan now (that shine!). Smile
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:16 am

I need to try mine again and wrap my tips, I've got two bottles in the house barely touched because I get horrible shrinkage with it, I hope wrapping the tips might help because like you say the shine is amazing.

Magpie

http://pieseyes.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:54 am

I hate to say it Magpie but I think I now have the problem shoppingaddict described and am getting a bit of shrinkage on the cuticles instead! Sooooo annoying because I love it!

It didn't seem to do it on the Butter London polish I used, but it's shrunk at the cuticles with the Nelly Polish (with a base of NYC) that I have on today. Bummer. Sad

I've followed all the advice - wrapped tips, made sure I apply a thick coat of SV, applied before the polish is completely dry. So I'm wondering if it's just a case of the two of us not getting along, a chemical reaction kinda thing.

On the upside, the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri is fab, it just lacks the lovely thick glossy magic of SV.
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Nails Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 am

I bought Insta-Dri to try it and it does not react well to me. It clouds and I get more tipwear than normal Sad
Geordie Nails
Geordie Nails

http://geordienails.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 pm

JackieP wrote:
I've followed all the advice - wrapped tips, made sure I apply a thick coat of SV, applied before the polish is completely dry.  So I'm wondering if it's just a case of the two of us not getting along, a chemical reaction kinda thing.
I wondered that myself, I'm going to try again because I have loads left and don't want to waste it but generally I find Insta Dri and the Boots N07 quick dry top coat work really well for me, even though they aren't quite so shiny, maybe I'm just not a Seche kind of girl. scratch

Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 am

JackieP wrote:On the upside, the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri is fab, it just lacks the lovely thick glossy magic of SV.
Just stick another coat on if you need more thickness.

Geordie...I occasionally get cloudiness with Instra-Dri, just near the tips. 9 out of 10 times it doesn't happen, I've not managed to work out what causes it. It only does it near the tips and it clears away completely after a few mins so I just ignore it.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Geordie Nails Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:47 am

Oh OK, I'll keep trying and I'll be extra-careful wrapping my tips.
Geordie Nails
Geordie Nails

http://geordienails.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieP Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:44 am

Yeah I get cloudy tips occasionally as well, the Butter London one I have does it too. Like starry says it goes away after a little while so it's no big deal. Strange though!
JackieP
JackieP

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm

I sometimes get cloudy tips with the No7 one, I have no idea what causes it! I'm quite glad it's not just me though I thought I must be doing something wrong to make it happen! Mad 

Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2