Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nail shapes?

+3
Sam
starrystarry
HanSpan
7 posters

Go down

nail shapes? Empty nail shapes?

Post  HanSpan Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 pm

So. I've always favoured basically pointy.
I am old! and it was dried blood coloured nasty spikes that persuaded me to stop chewing!

I once hated square nails but pictures of fabulous things mean I'm now tempted to give them a go.
But how does one go about it? Even with nails of steel, once they start to get long the corners get nasty. I can turn a screw a screw with my nails nut they look like that is what they are used for!

Nailrunner blog is the worst in terms of wishing - I WANT those nails, but I fear mine will never look like that whatever I do.
However I'm willing to give it a go so how do I get (somewhere like)there?

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

nail shapes? Empty Re: nail shapes?

Post  starrystarry Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:27 am

HanSpan wrote:So.  I've always favoured basically pointy.
I am old!  and it was dried blood coloured nasty spikes that persuaded me to stop chewing!

I once hated square nails but pictures of fabulous things mean I'm now tempted to give them a go.  
But how does one go about it?  Even with nails of steel, once they start to get long the corners get nasty.  I can turn a screw a screw with my nails nut they look like that is what they are used for!

Nailrunner blog is the worst in terms of wishing - I WANT those nails, but I fear mine will never look like that whatever I do.  
However I'm willing to give it a go so how do I get (somewhere like)there?

I keep my nails square, apart from when they're really short like they are at the moment, when I round them off a bit.

It's easily really, you just need to cut/file them straight across.  If you use normal clippers you'll end up with a slightly rounded edge which you can file straight.  If you use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] type of clipper you can get a really straight edge that just needs smoothing off a bit.  I find those clippers a bit hard to control though, I end up cutting my nails shorter than I meant to.  In between cutting them, I just square them off with a file each time I do a mani. I do soften the corner every so slightly, so they're not sharp.  When I'm filing I do it with the back of my hand turned towards me (if that makes sense). it's easier to see the shape that way, I'm not distracted by the shape of the free edge.

Mine will never look as good as fellrunner's either but I think my nails look better square than any other shape. It probably depends on the shape of your fingers though.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Ooh those clippers look a bit scary, might try some though.
I have pretty much stopped cutting altogether and just file like crazy with a Leighton Denny Crystal file as I have in the past managed to break clippers with my thumb nails so I wonder if these will win the fight.
I suspect that if I do manage to get them square they will look horrid, as my fingers are a bit weird and unstraight, but I guess I'll never know unless I try!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:28 am

Yep, you might as well give it a try. If you don't like them square you can easily round them off. Just don't cut them too short. You need to be really careful with those clippers, take off less than you think you want to until you get used to them. They do give a really straight edge though and they cut the whole nail in one go. With those other clippers, I have to cut it in two or three goes.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:38 pm

starrystarry wrote:Yep, you might as well give it a try.  If you don't like them square you can easily round them off.  Just don't cut them too short.  You need to be really careful with those clippers, take off less than you think you want to until you get used to them.  They do give a really straight edge though and they cut the whole nail in one go.  With those other clippers, I have to cut it in two or three goes.

I've ordered a pair but I'm a bit nervous. I saw a few reviews - not of that pair but of similar - saying they weren't sharp enough and the nail just flexed. I am really squeamish about clipping my nails a they are so hard and so curved I'm scared they will split up the middle. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick.
There should be a throwy uppy smiley!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 am

My nails are quite strong and curved, and I can't be doing with nail clippers - I have to do half my nail at a time because the full nail won;t fit in clippers because of the curve, and it makes them like shatter in the middle. Yuck.

I go for square. I just use nail scissors to cut straight across and then file them to tidy up.
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:47 am

Epic fail with just heading for square!
I filed into something squarish & for the first time in years I've broken a nail totally. Right hand ring finger is pretty much gone beyond the pink bit, and it even peeled so some of the pink is less than full layers.
Ick!

I wonder if the fact that I'm so used to pointyish, and/or that I pick, means having the sides straight has made them more inclined to catch & break.

I was only unloading a sodding laundry basket!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:49 am

Sam wrote:My nails are quite strong and curved, and I can't be doing with nail clippers - I have to do half my nail at a time because the full nail won;t fit in clippers because of the curve, and it makes them like shatter in the middle.  Yuck.  

I go for square.  I just use nail scissors to cut straight across and then file them to tidy up.

The idea of scissors makes me shudder too - I fear they would split diagonally half way up the nail.
I have found that nibbling with nippers is bearable - I got the idea from a Canarian manicurist who pinged bits of my nails all round the salon with them;)

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:30 am

I can't stand using clippers on my fingernails, it makes me feel ill. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 am

HanSpan wrote:Epic fail with just heading for square!
I filed into something squarish & for the first time in years I've broken a nail totally.  Right hand ring finger is pretty much gone beyond the pink bit, and it even peeled so some of the pink is less than full layers.
Ick!

I wonder if the fact that I'm so used to pointyish, and/or that I pick, means having the sides straight has made them more inclined to catch & break.  

Oh no, nightmare! It might not be anything to do with the shape though, could just be a coincidence. Re the clippers, these are the ones I bought...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They're only cheap but they're plenty sharp enough. I've not quite mastered them though, I must admit. I don't seem to be able to judge how much length I'm taking off.

I have the same problem as you Sam, my nails are too curved to fit the whole nail into normal clippers.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Babafette wrote:I can't stand using clippers on my fingernails, it makes me feel ill. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've just taken them all short and used my crystal file and just filed like a maniac. Its a bit icky but clippers and scissors make me wince.
I'm looking forward to seeing what these new style clippers are like.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm

starrystarry wrote:
HanSpan wrote:Epic fail with just heading for square!
I filed into something squarish & for the first time in years I've broken a nail totally.  Right hand ring finger is pretty much gone beyond the pink bit, and it even peeled so some of the pink is less than full layers.
Ick!

Oh no, nightmare!  It might not be anything to do with the shape though, could just be a coincidence.  Re the clippers, these are the ones I bought...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They're only cheap but they're plenty sharp enough.  I've not quite mastered them though, I must admit.  I don't seem to be able to judge how much length I'm taking off.

I have the same problem as you Sam, my nails are too curved to fit the whole nail into normal clippers.

Pretty sure it was the shape as my nails absolutely never tear like that - the only breakages I usually get is when I stab something accidentally & get a split at the corner.

They are all crazy short now and naked & I'd forgotten how much grubbier my nails seem to be when they are short.
I've not had time to paint them as we've had computer issues to resolve and various dreary domestic things but maybe tonihgt, if only so I don't have to look at the grubbiness;)

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shezza Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:20 am

I try to aim for squoval nails, even though I love the square finish on short nails like mine). When I really square my nails off they seem to break so much easier, especially the sort of break where a corner chunk breaks off.
Shezza
Shezza

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 pm

So we got back from hols yesterday and waiting for me was the magic (and rather frightening) new clippers. I've chopped them all as close to squre as I can and its sooo peculiar feeling! Its actually quite good for keyboard typing but it took me several goes to succesfully get past the password on my work blackberry keyboard.
Would it look too weird to have square finger nails and pointy thumbs?

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes I think it would look a bit odd if your fingernails were square and your thumb pointy. They need to be all a similar shape really.

You'll get used to the shape, even if it feels a bit odd at first. Did you manage to get the length you wanted with those clippers? That's what I struggle with, I end up taking too much off.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:43 pm

I really want rounded nails but I'm useless at filing.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 am

starrystarry wrote:Yes I think it would look a bit odd if your fingernails were square and your thumb pointy.  They need to be all a similar shape really.

You'll get used to the shape, even if it feels a bit odd at first. Did you manage to get the length you wanted with those clippers?  That's what I struggle with, I end up taking too much off.

I've already started filing off bits - how can anyone get used to these? Arghghghghghg;)
Apart from anything else my nails are filthy like this - I knew I cleaned under my nails with other nails but didn't realise how much I must do it as you just can't with squared nails.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:11 am

Laura wrote:I really want rounded nails but I'm useless at filing.

Much much easier with the Leighton Denny file I now use. If you put the file at an angle so its closer to your finger and farther from the nail - like this / if your hand is horizontal with nails upper most (best I can do in text!) - then file back and forth (OK with crystal) using the rounded end of your finger as a guide you get a roughly rounded shape.
I then tend to paint mine something darkish & file again until they look right - or as right as mine ever do as I have wonky fingers and some nails that head off at an angle!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 am

I have a crystal file, it makes me feel a bit sick when I use it.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

Sally Magpie wrote:I have a crystal file, it makes me feel a bit sick when I use it.

See I used to feel that way about emery boards which is why I would chop then file, but I don't mind the crystal one at all and file away like a nutcase if I want to get them shorter.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down