Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nail clinic help please!

+4
Babafette
Sally Magpie
shoppingaddict
LoolaBeanbag
8 posters

Go down

Nail clinic help please! Empty Nail clinic help please!

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 pm

I have a little thin sliver (about 2mm) of extra nail, seperate to the main nail but attached that sometimes grows on a couple of my fingers . My aunt calls this poisoned nail, but I don't think that's the right name for it. I ususally pull them off but it really hurts to do this, I've just pulled one bit out this morning and my finger is sooooo sore and bleeding. Sad I was wondering if anyone knows what the proper term is for this so that I can look up the proper treatment/removal and save myself some pain! Thanks.
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Nail clinic help please! Empty Re: Nail clinic help please!

Post  shoppingaddict Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:03 pm

I haven't a clue, just want to say 'owwwww'.

That's all! xx
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

I get that on my toenails. I have three little toe nails on each foot, each tinnier than the other. I call them claggers. But this is my name for them. I was horrified when I found out what my husband thought claggers were.

I just cut them off with nail clippers. But I am a skank.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:I have a little thin sliver (about 2mm) of extra nail, seperate to the main nail but attached that sometimes grows on a couple of my fingers . My aunt calls this poisoned nail, but I don't think that's the right name for it. I ususally pull them off but it really hurts to do this, I've just pulled one bit out this morning and my finger is sooooo sore and bleeding. Sad I was wondering if anyone knows what the proper term is for this so that I can look up the proper treatment/removal and save myself some pain! Thanks.
I think I know what you mean. I have this too, it's actually part of the nail but after a while it seems to break away as a long thin strip. I usually try and cut it down as low as possible with my cuticle clippers.

I also suffer with splinter haemorrhages which worry me a bit. Crying or Very sad
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 am

Babafette wrote:
LoolaBeanbag wrote:I have a little thin sliver (about 2mm) of extra nail, seperate to the main nail but attached that sometimes grows on a couple of my fingers . My aunt calls this poisoned nail, but I don't think that's the right name for it. I ususally pull them off but it really hurts to do this, I've just pulled one bit out this morning and my finger is sooooo sore and bleeding. Sad I was wondering if anyone knows what the proper term is for this so that I can look up the proper treatment/removal and save myself some pain! Thanks.
I think I know what you mean. I have this too, it's actually part of the nail but after a while it seems to break away as a long thin strip. I usually try and cut it down as low as possible with my cuticle clippers.

I also suffer with splinter haemorrhages which worry me a bit. Crying or Very sad

They're so sore even before I pull them that I don't want to get near them with the clippers! I try to get them right from the base in the hope that they won't grow back but they always so. The buggers.
Babafette, I saw a bit about splinter haemorrages whilst I was trying to find out about my problemette. It looks like they're probably nothing to worry about but I'd just check with the doc next time you're there, they'll probably be able to offer qualified reassurance x.
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:Babafette, I saw a bit about splinter haemorrages whilst I was trying to find out about my problemette. It looks like they're probably nothing to worry about but I'd just check with the doc next time you're there, they'll probably be able to offer qualified reassurance x.
Thanks Loola. I avoid the doctor unless I'm very poorly indeed.

I am pretty convinced I actually have a thyroid problem but I'm too scared to go and get tested because I am terrified of needles and know I would have to have a blood test. And yes, I know it's very childish but even the thought of it makes me extremely anxious. Embarassed
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Wesker Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 am

Babafette wrote:
LoolaBeanbag wrote:Babafette, I saw a bit about splinter haemorrages whilst I was trying to find out about my problemette. It looks like they're probably nothing to worry about but I'd just check with the doc next time you're there, they'll probably be able to offer qualified reassurance x.

I am pretty convinced I actually have a thyroid problem but I'm too scared to go and get tested because I am terrified of needles and know I would have to have a blood test. And yes, I know it's very childish but even the thought of it makes me extremely anxious. Embarassed

Babafette, i have an underactive thyroid, i was diagnosed a few years ago. My mum had it and my sister so thought i should get it checked out......and i have it too :-( but i'm only on a low dose. Just been for my yearly blood test yesterday. Need to phone them in a couple of days for the results.
Its really not too bad, just a tablet every morning and a yearly blood test Wink
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am

Babafette wrote:

I understand about the needle thing - I'm the same with........wobbly teeth!! I can go the dentist no problem, but my children all know not to wobble in front of Mummy!!!!
If you did need a blood test, there are ways that they can do it that wouldn't cause distress. They take blood from young children (my daughter had one, they use anaesthetic cream and can screen off the needle. I watched her face when they 'did it' and she didn't even flinch, she says she felt nothing.)
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am

Babafette wrote:

Is it needles or blood tests in general?

I used to be very anxious about blood tests - I have to have about one a year Sad - but it was because every single time, I'd faint and feel really sick. That is, until the nurse last time used a child sized butterfly for the needle; apparently I have small veins! She took more than ever and I felt absolutely fine and for the first time ever I was able to leave straight afterwards. That may be something you can ask about. (I know the feeling of terror though, I've been offered a free cervical screen every year since I started uni over two years ago but I've not taken the offer up because the idea turns my stomach and I just pale no. Eurgh!)
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 am

kissmenow9 wrote:Is it needles or blood tests in general?
Both, I hate needles and I hate blood. Just the idea of going to the doctor to have a blood test makes me really stressed and freaked out. pale
kissmenow9 wrote:(I know the feeling of terror though, I've been offered a free cervical screen every year since I started uni over two years ago but I've not taken the offer up because the idea turns my stomach and I just pale no. Eurgh!)
I'm afraid I'm exactly the same with the smear test. I know they've seen it all before, but they haven't seen mine before and I'd prefer to keep it that way! Embarassed pale
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 am

I hate them, smears that it is, they hurt me ALOT. But they did find some suspious cells few years ago. Had tests and they weren't anything but I'm now on a short cycle to be on the safe side. Pretty scary at the time though.
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 am

shoppingaddict wrote:I hate them, smears that it is, they hurt me ALOT.
Me too, that's what really put me off. The last one I had many years ago really hurt and the nurse made me bleed so I've never been back since. Neutral
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:28 am

Unfortunately on my dads side I have immediate family history of cervical cancer and on my mums side I have immediate family history of breast cancer.

I'm pretty much gonna die of cancer of one form!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Senoshi Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:00 am

Oh, goodness! I get both the stubborn splinters of nail at the sides of my nail beds, and the splinter hemorrhages; I'd honestly never given either of them a second thought. Sad The former I just clip off as far down as I can with some nail clippers (they inevitably keep growing out, but I've learned the hard way that pulling at them both hurts more and bleeds a lot!). The latter I just attribute to me being rough with my nails and banging them on things or catching them awkwardly!
Senoshi
Senoshi

http://littlemisssenoshi.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 am

Senoshi wrote:Oh, goodness! I get both the stubborn splinters of nail at the sides of my nail beds, and the splinter hemorrhages; I'd honestly never given either of them a second thought. Sad The former I just clip off as far down as I can with some nail clippers (they inevitably keep growing out, but I've learned the hard way that pulling at them both hurts more and bleeds a lot!). The latter I just attribute to me being rough with my nails and banging them on things or catching them awkwardly!

Thanks Senoshi, I'm going to stop pulling at them and try clippers. I have just soaked the raw bare skin where I tore the last one out with acetone and my eyes are still watering! affraid
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Senoshi Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:Thanks Senoshi, I'm going to stop pulling at them and try clippers. I have just soaked the raw bare skin where I tore the last one out with acetone and my eyes are still watering! affraid

Ouch! I know of that pain, it is particularly horrible! I kept pulling mine out before (even though it hurt!), then one time my finger swelled up afterwards and was really red and hot for a few days before settling down again... in retrospect it was probably just a tiny fleeting infection, but it scared me off and I've been gently clipping them ever since! Embarassed
Senoshi
Senoshi

http://littlemisssenoshi.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 am

kissmenow9 wrote:
Babafette wrote:

I used to be very anxious about blood tests - I have to have about one a year Sad - but it was because every single time, I'd faint and feel really sick. That is, until the nurse last time used a child sized butterfly for the needle; apparently I have small veins! She took more than ever and I felt absolutely fine and for the first time ever I was able to leave straight afterwards. That may be something you can ask about. (I know the feeling of terror though, I've been offered a free cervical screen every year since I started uni over two years ago but I've not taken the offer up because the idea turns my stomach and I just pale no. Eurgh!)

Oh my god, A few people in this thread are going to get a telling off.

I never went for smears. Couldn't be bothered, too much of a pain, etc etc. Anyway, I booked for one and bam, abnormalities.

Went to the hospital, had to lay with my nun in the open while they squirted stinging water on my cervix. Hurt like a bitch. Good job I went as I had CIN3, which is the step before cancer. Basically the virus has developed, but it hasn't broken the skin. If it had I would have been on the Jade Goody bus.

So, I have a proccedure where they lance off the nasties, while I'm awake, I bleed like a freak and can smell the burning as they are doing it.

I Bled like that for 8 weeks while jumps of coal fell off my innards and out my nun.

If I had my smear it would have been a little bit of laser and sorted. Learn from my mistakes!
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks Lady S.

I make sure that I always have mine, it's bloody awful but it really only takes a few minutes of cringe and disomfort. It also helps if the nurse draws the curtains, I had to ask her last time as I could see people walking past the window to the car park affraid Laughing
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Lady S wrote:
kissmenow9 wrote:
Babafette wrote:

Oh my god, A few people in this thread are going to get a telling off.

I never went for smears. Couldn't be bothered, too much of a pain, etc etc. Anyway, I booked for one and bam, abnormalities.

Went to the hospital, had to lay with my nun in the open while they squirted stinging water on my cervix. Hurt like a bitch. Good job I went as I had CIN3, which is the step before cancer. Basically the virus has developed, but it hasn't broken the skin. If it had I would have been on the Jade Goody bus.

So, I have a proccedure where they lance off the nasties, while I'm awake, I bleed like a freak and can smell the burning as they are doing it.

I Bled like that for 8 weeks while jumps of coal fell off my innards and out my nun.

If I had my smear it would have been a little bit of laser and sorted. Learn from my mistakes!

Embarassed Shocked I'm glad you caught it before it was too late!

I'm such a massive wimp. I know it needs to be done but I can't bring myself to do it :/ I don't have anyone I trust enough to take with me either. Sigh. As this is the last time I can get one (the age is earlier in Wales, and I move back home in July) I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it.
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:56 pm

I am a total wimp but have just about got to grips with smears and blood tests.

The last time I had a smear I was, as usual, scared witless but they have new plastic rather than metal spready thingies and it was honestly FAR less painful. I've also learned to ahve a snifter of vodka and an ibuprofen before to relax me a bit. I've had several friends who have had to have laser for precancerous cells and as I have a family history of all sorts of cancer I don't dare not do it.

As for needles - I am petrified. To the extent that when I broke my ankle several eyars ago I made the greek doctors break open the ampule and give me painkiller by mouth rather than injecting me, despite the fact they said it would do little good (they were right and I did scream a bit!). I had the embarrasment of conking out after a blood test and decided to learn some breathing techniques to stop me hyperventilating and doing it again. So I can now keep the panick under control just long enough for them to take blood. I have found explaining how scared I am and insisting they DON'T try to talk to me about holidays but tell me how many more little vials I have to control my breathing for helps.

I try really hard not to think about if I ever have to have a drip. After they pinned and plated my ankle (using gas as I freaked at the semi conscious needle option) I came round to a morphine drip and by about 6am I insisted they remove it as that was freaking me out and hurting more than the pain in my ankle! The idea of being in hospital with a drip and awakle makes me want to run screaming. Infact just thinking about it is making my hands go numb and me start to feel hot and light headed. What a twit;)

Anyway - blood tests for low thyroid - DO IT. I feel so much better on lots of extra thyroxine.
And smear tests - DO THAT TOO - so much ebtter than the alternative.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:04 pm

You have to kissmenow - if Lady S's post doesn't have you grabbing for the phone to make the appointment, I don't know what will.

See a smear as a trial run for giving birth. The smear is one nurse in a room with you, when you have a baby your fannoooni will basically be a public place!

But seriously, this is no laughing matter. You must. xxxxxxxxxx
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:You have to kissmenow - if Lady S's post doesn't have you grabbing for the phone to make the appointment, I don't know what will.

See a smear as a trial run for giving birth. The smear is one nurse in a room with you, when you have a baby your fannoooni will basically be a public place!

But seriously, this is no laughing matter. You must. xxxxxxxxxx

fanooni. priceless!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:26 am

My nails are very dry, ridged and seemingly rather brittle of late. However, my biggest concern is that the sides of my thumb nails are now starting to curl inwards slightly at the tips. Crying or Very sad

Does anyone else suffer with this or know why it would happen? I've Googled it and not come up with much useful information or suggestions as to what I can do about it. No I'm not sure if my nails are just exceptionally dehydrated or if it could be a medical issue.
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 am

Mine turn slightly inwards at the tips if they get too long, like an ingrowing finger nail

(lets talk about fanooni's again, it was more fun)
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am

Lady S wrote:Mine turn slightly inwards at the tips if they get too long, like an ingrowing finger nail

(lets talk about fanooni's again, it was more fun)
Thanks Sal. Mine aren't long at the moment though - my thumb nails are curling quite low down and it's causing small splits at the side of the nail. No

Not sure about fanoonis - my friend used to call hers minky moo which I thought was hilarious! Laughing
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down