Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to wear to a wedding!

+10
SueD
martinsgirl
Sam
HanSpan
Jasmina
ShazMO
Babafette
kissmenow9
Jane
Laura
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What to wear to a wedding! - Page 2 Empty Re: What to wear to a wedding!

Post  Laura Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 am

Trouble is Jane dresses like that... I have tons of them in my wardrobe but I wouldn't wanna bend over in them Embarassed
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Have you been sucessful yet?
If not I'm no use - never wear dresses LOL - but I belong to a beauty swapping facebook page where there's absolutely loads of girls who often discuss exactly those sorts of tea dresses and sell second hand and offer one another advice about getting cheapie ones for weddings and work. I could have a look at what they've been discussing recently if you still need something?

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, I discovered a dress in my wardrobe that I really like

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's a good length, falls about 1cm above the knee... but I wasn't sure about the red and black lace?
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 am

I would never wear Red to a wedding personally but it is a nice dress. I am a bit traditional for weddings though, I did have someone want to come in the exact same colour as the bridesmaids and I had a bridezilla moment.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 am

Jasmina, I dread to think what I'm going to be like... People seem to think it's acceptable to turn up to weddings in white or black these days...god help anyone who turns up in those colours to by wedding! I've already told my MOH she has to go back to brunette because she can't out-blonde me on my wedding day... Embarassed

I wouldn't kick out people who wore red though, so I think that dress is okay lol. Only you know whether the couple marrying would think that was innappropriate Smile
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:37 am

Why no red?

I'm on the verge of not going lol. No black, no white, no red... what colours are acceptable? Then I can work off that?
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:39 am

Sam wrote:Jasmina, I dread to think what I'm going to be like... People seem to think it's acceptable to turn up to weddings in white or black these days...god help anyone who turns up in those colours to by wedding! I've already told my MOH she has to go back to brunette because she can't out-blonde me on my wedding day... Embarassed

I wouldn't kick out people who wore red though, so I think that dress is okay lol. Only you know whether the couple marrying would think that was innappropriate Smile

Ha ha we told MIL what colours not to wear and she turned up in them! In real life it certainly looked like a black dress with purple splashes on, in the photos it looks a little paler but still very dark, SIL wore a white, red and black dress - I genuinely think they were just trying to take the piss! Mind you people ask me who that ropey looking bird is in my pictures then blush when I say DH mother! ha ha if you are a sun worshipper with a wrinkly decolletage it probably isn't a good idea to wear a low cut dress to your son's wedding with your large bust making an almost appearance. I was proper racked off at the time but it's her that looks a state in the pics not me.

My friend had to clarify "No Jeans" on their invites, felt so sorry for her that she needed to do that, some people are too casual these days. Mind you I was at a wedding once were someone wore leggings so perhaps these things do need spelling out.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 am

Is it acceptable to wear black tights? I don't do bare legs.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 am

I can't believe they actually had to write "no jeans", what the hell?
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 am

Laura wrote:Why no red?

I'm on the verge of not going lol. No black, no white, no red... what colours are acceptable? Then I can work off that?

Here is the old traditions:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I always ask the bride as they may be totally ok with your choice in outfit or she may be devastated. I asked permission to wear white trouser once as I was heavily pregnant and the maternity dress I ordered and already had approved by the bride seemed too short for a wedding. I personally wouldn't normally wear white, cream, black, red or any bridal party colours.

I think light or bright colours are acceptable and I think black accessories are fine. It is a totally different ball game for evening reception though, any of the dresses you posted would be beautiful for the evening. I think maxi dresses are very nice for weddings, lovely length and not clingy or revealing.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:49 am

Laura wrote:I can't believe they actually had to write "no jeans", what the hell?

I know right! My FIL was casually dressed for our wedding too, he is a larger chap and had to special order apparently, couldn't even be bothered to wear a tie with his short sleeved shirt. I personally think he couldn't be arsed as he looked very smart for a wedding he attended after ours. As you can tell I have a pretty low opinion of my in laws anyway.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  martinsgirl Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:33 am

I got married a few weeks ago and the only colour I wouldn't have wanted someone wearing was white. A couple of people had dresses in the same colour as my bridesmaids but that didn't bother me at all. I think that red dress is lovely and would have been quite happy for you to wear it to mine, but maybe best to check with the bride as some are more fussy than others! Very Happy
martinsgirl
martinsgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 am

Laura wrote:Is it acceptable to wear black tights? I don't do bare legs.

I didnt know red was even an issue - I do know about white & black, although I've been to plenty of weddings where people wore black (and not just the goth weddings where almost everyone wore black;

I think the dress looks lovely and black tights would work very well, but it seems like maybe people are getting more rather than less traditional, so it depends wehether you'd prefer to know if the bride would be unhappy at red (and have to go searching again) or whether you'd rather not know and just wear it! I doubt many brides would actually tell people she's unhappy with their clothes unless they were truly outrageous? And I can't see why red is any less acceptable than any other bright colour.

By the by - I wore the same grey pant/jacket combo to the last wedding AND the last funeral I went to! Different tops under and hats and accessories though. It wasn't really intentionaly just the only ting that fitted that was appropriate for either.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Sam wrote:Jasmina, I dread to think what I'm going to be like... People seem to think it's acceptable to turn up to weddings in white or black these days...god help anyone who turns up in those colours to by wedding! I've already told my MOH she has to go back to brunette because she can't out-blonde me on my wedding day... Embarassed

Me too, I've made it clear to all my family that if I ever get married and anyone turns up in white or plain black they will be very embarrassed by me when I interrupt the service to kick them out!

White is a no because it upstages the bride (some say that lacy cream is also a no - if it looks like a bridal dress, then no)
Black is a no because it's a colour reserved for mourning
Red is a no as it's associated with prostitutes and implies you're after the groom...
Matching the colour and style of the bridesmaids (i.e. same cut and same colour) is a bit weird, makes it look like you're trying to get in on the wedding party.
ETA - I've never seen it over here but American etiquette says no green or pastel dresses. Not sure why.

It's definitely up to the bride though. I think the red dress with black tights and some nice shoes will be fine as it's not boobs out and in your face.
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 pm

I just don't understand why you would want to kick your own friends or family members out of your wedding service, purely for wearing the wrong colour? It just seems massively trivial to me?!

Not directly at you Kissmenow9 but you hear of it a lot don't you. Personally I wouldn't care as long as everyone is fully clothed Smile

Just seems a bit neurotic to me Embarassed I dunno, I'd just prefer my day to be remembered as a nice occasion, rather than one where people were scared to come in a colour that was "wrong" in case they got chucked out cos Laura's gone mad!

Oh and I can't wear blue because that's the bridesmaids' colour. So that and wtf no green? Shall I just go in my birthday suit? Very Happy
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 am

Well fully clothed but not wearing jeans and hoodies lol... as long as they made an effort Razz
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 am

Might be easier just to go in Onesie....Wink
I really don't remember any issue over what people wore when I got married,it was a good few years ago though so maybe I've just forgotten in my old age Embarassed
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:24 am

wow, interesting comments. I've worn black to a wedding before. I wore a bright blue and black fascinator as well though and a friend wore a black dress with white shoes and a white shawl. But the bride wore a massive princess gown so there was no chance of upstaging her. And I wore leggings and flip flops to my mates wedding but to be fair I was travelling, they hassled me to come back for the wedding even though I went to the civil service (she's canadian so they had a visa wedding) and said I wasn't attending the main UK ceremony. But I did come back the night before, so no time to find anything dressy. The bride said I could turn up in what I liked though. Which was nice.

(always been a little tiny part of me that regretted coming back for the wedding as it ended my trip. I wanted to stay away. Is that wrong? lol)

actually another wedding I went to was black, white and silver as the theme and dress colours. That was nice.

Sorry I'm not helping any! Shocked
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:48 am

I don't really understand all this Bridezilla lark - I wanted the people I love around me (unfortunatly MIL had to be there), didn't care what they were wearing. I had wedding dress drama the day before, the shop in Brighton (I'm in Dover) delivered me a size 12 skirt and I needed the 16 I'd bought and tried on. I still wasn't really bothered, I'd have been happy to get married in my jeans. I also had too much work on to take the day off before so the beauty treatments went out the window.
The horse and carriage thingie (father's request, not mine!) didn't arrive on the day - no biggie, I jumped in a taxi.

I'd just wear whatever you like. They've invited you, not a clothes horse! If it doesn't suit then get stuck in at the bar! Very Happy
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:I don't really understand all this Bridezilla lark - I wanted the people I love around me (unfortunatly MIL had to be there), didn't care what they were wearing.
I've been thinking exactly the same thing but didn't want to post in case I offended anyone. Neutral I guess it depends on each individual, but I'm not really one for tradition anyway. Surely the point of a wedding is to have the people you care about around you to share in the day? Why does it really matter what guests wear as long as they look presentable (and don't wear something resembling a bridal gown obviously!)?

You should wear whatever you feel comfortable in Laura. I'm sure you'll look fab in the dress you posted about. Smile
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Muffy Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 am

My brother's getting married in August and we bridesmaids are wearing red. I won't be trying to steal the groom though. Laughing

How about something like this Laura? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I know it's white but it's patterned).

Boohoo are cheap and have some gorgeous dresses. Or if you're really strapped for cash you could try Everything 5 Pounds, this is lovely: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think pastels would be your best bet, whatever you go for.

Muffy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:57 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:I don't really understand all this Bridezilla lark

I can understand wanting to have a nice day but I wouldn't want to attend the wedding of someone who was going utterly bonkers about everything. Surely being that obsessed and neurotic will ruin the bloody day
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 am

I've decided to go for the red dress with some black tights if all else fails. I'll zip over to Crawley again in a week or two just for a last ditch attempt at finding something!
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 am

Ooooh actually thinking about it I have got a purple dress that's long at the black and short at the front? I could wear that, but the satin-y skirt bit underneath tends to ride up if I wear tights... had a bit of a mishap at Ascot with that one Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed would need to be careful, oh sorry for multiple postings
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 am

Have you got a piccie? I'm nosey!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next