Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Club?

+12
HanSpan
Anisis
lei_armstrong
Gillyx
Sarah
Sam
Melonade
Sally Magpie
shoppingaddict
starrystarry
backhoe71
Jane
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Book Club? Empty Book Club?

Post  Jane Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 am

Anyone else a big reader? What are you currently reading?

I've just finished Effortless by SC Stephens and I'm gutted. Hate coming to the end of a good book Crying or Very sad Nobody will judge you when you say 50 shades girls I promise!
Jane
Jane
Admin

http://pulliptears.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Book Club? Empty Re: Book Club?

Post  backhoe71 Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 am

I love reading. Just wish I had more time to do it. I'll read thrillers, chick lit, biographies. Not a fan of Mills and Boon tho!! lol

backhoe71

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 am

I read quite a lot, love my kindle and I've always got an audio book on the go (in the car/on my MP3 for walking the dog).

I'm not a 50 shades girl I'm afraid.

Just finished James Rollins' Bloodline on audio book and about to start The Selfish Gene (Richard Dawkins). Ghost Country by Patrick Lee on my kindle just now.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:03 am

I love reading and used to read LOADS but unfortunatly I don't get the time anymore. Gutted.
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 am

I am an avid kindle fan aswell.

Although slow on the uptake I am just going through the twilight series, lol
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Melonade Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:07 am

I'll read almost anything Embarassed

Love my Kindle to bits and doubt I could live without it now!! I've read the 1st 50 shades book but imo it was badly written and has put me off buying the next one. I like Jo Nesbo books... err pretty much anything that will keep me page turning (or clicking) I'm honestly not too fussy.

Melonade

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:13 am

Melonade wrote:I'll read almost anything Embarassed

Love my Kindle to bits and doubt I could live without it now!! I've read the 1st 50 shades book but imo it was badly written and has put me off buying the next one. I like Jo Nesbo books... err pretty much anything that will keep me page turning (or clicking) I'm honestly not too fussy.

I've read The Snowman, really enjoyed that. Are his others as good?
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 am

I read the 50 books, it was an interesting change for me as I tended to stick to Vamp romance, anyway, it led me down the path of some fab adult fiction books which is where I'm currently at with the SC Stephens books.
Props to Olivia Cunning for her Sinners series though, a book following the sex life of a rock band. Now that made 50 read like a kids book Embarassed Embarassed
Jane
Jane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 am

I wish the girl with the dragon tattoo had more books in the series. Pity the geezer died
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Melonade Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 am

starrystarry wrote:
Melonade wrote:I'll read almost anything Embarassed

I've read The Snowman, really enjoyed that. Are his others as good?

Yes they are really good. I can't remember if the snowman is the first of the series or not though. Anyway they each have a different story but have the same characters so they all tie together if you get what I mean.

Lady S, I was gutted that Stig Larson (sp?) died awsell, apparently he was half way through the 4th book when he died and his partner and family are arguing about if/who should finish the book.

Melonade

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:30 am

I read loads since I got a Kindle Smile I generally only get free books though, unless there's something in particular I really want. I like fantasy books, but I tend to go for young adult ones because I'm not grown up enough for sex in books lol, I get embarassed. I just finished a book called A Touch of Magic by Gregory Mahan. Next up is some chick lit.
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:40 am

I read the 50 shades trilogy in about a week, because of the hype. I wasn't impressed by it though. It was badly written, and the 'filth' was awful. Much better stuff online that's much better written.

I wanted to kill her 'inner goddess' slowly and painfully by the end of book 1 I think Laughing

I tend to stick to girlie chick lit really. Shopaholic series and things like that. I'm trying to get in to reading more but I struggle to concentrate Mad
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillyx Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 am

Just finished Disgrace by Jussi Adler Olsen. Loving Nordic Crime novels at the moment.
Gillyx
Gillyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 am

xoxo wrote:I read the 50 shades trilogy in about a week, because of the hype. I wasn't impressed by it though. It was badly written, and the 'filth' was awful. Much better stuff online that's much better written.

I wanted to kill her 'inner goddess' slowly and painfully by the end of book 1 I think Laughing

I tend to stick to girlie chick lit really. Shopaholic series and things like that. I'm trying to get in to reading more but I struggle to concentrate Mad

Snap, wanted to punch her inner goddess right in the shakra's Very Happy

Thoughtless and Effortless were 2 lovely books, not as explicit as 50 by a long shot but quite romantic really. SC Stephens is very much a small Author at present but she writes characters you can't help but bond with (Plus it helps that they are hot rock stars Wink )
Jane
Jane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 am

I shall check them out Very Happy
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Jane Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 am

xoxo wrote:I shall check them out Very Happy

If you want something as explicit as 50 (well, moreso actually), go for Olivia Cunning 'Backstage Pass'.

Very Happy
Jane
Jane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lei_armstrong Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:16 am

pulliptears wrote:I read the 50 books, it was an interesting change for me as I tended to stick to Vamp romance, anyway, it led me down the path of some fab adult fiction books which is where I'm currently at with the SC Stephens books.
Props to Olivia Cunning for her Sinners series though, a book following the sex life of a rock band. Now that made 50 read like a kids book Embarassed Embarassed

Ooh have you read the True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris? They're a Vampire love story with all sorts of supernatural creatures and a bit of sex thrown in! I love reading and have loads of books lined up to read on my iPad. I'm normally into thrillers (Karin Slaughter, Kathy Reichs, Simon Kernick, Jeff Abbott) but have more recently got into supernatural with Twilight and the Sookie books, mainly because i'm impatient and want to know what happens next :-) Think i'll be taking 50 Shades of Grey on holiday though so I can see what the hype is all about x

lei_armstrong

Back to top Go down

Post  Anisis Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 am

I'm currently reading "A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin". It's the fourth book in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series that "A Game of Thrones" is based on.
It's the first time I've ventured into fantasy and actually enjoyed it enough to stick with the series. Very Happy

I'm usually into supernatural/romance like those by Laurell K Hamilton. Embarassed

Anisis
Anisis

Back to top Go down

Post  Melonade Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 am

xoxo wrote:I read the 50 shades trilogy in about a week, because of the hype. I wasn't impressed by it though. It was badly written, and the 'filth' was awful. Much better stuff online that's much better written.

Me too although I'll admit I just d/l'd the 2nd book... was getting in the bath and realised I finished my book last night Embarassed Can't get in the bath without having a read of something... hopefully her inner goddess isn't running wild or I'll end up reading the back of a shampoo bottle!!

Finished reading Bakkian Chronicles book 1 last night, wasn't bad for a free book and I'll probably get the 2nd book.

I've read most of the Sookie (True Blood) books, think I got to book 9 but never got round to reading the next ones. They are good though and slightly differ from the tv series which I liked Very Happy Love Karin Slaughter books too cheers

I'll check out some of the books mentioned here, always on the lookout for a good book!!

Melonade

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:27 am

Lady S wrote:I wish the girl with the dragon tattoo had more books in the series. Pity the geezer died

Oh I loved those. I took the first on holiday to La Palma about 2.5 years ago and saw an English language copy of the other two through a closed bookshop window (Sunday). Despite the astronomical price I went in and bought them both the next day. Now I too have a kindle I won't have to do taht again!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 pm

My step daughter turned up with one here when she was 11 and I encouraged her not to read it because it was the first with all anal rape and stuff like that. I don't think an 11 year told should understand things like that really.

No doubt she just went home and read it, but I was happier with her not reading it here. ( do I come across as a prude?)
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Lady S wrote:My step daughter turned up with one here when she was 11 and I encouraged her not to read it because it was the first with all anal rape and stuff like that. I don't think an 11 year told should understand things like that really.

No doubt she just went home and read it, but I was happier with her not reading it here. ( do I come across as a prude?)

Not to me - I'd not want an 11 year old reading that, I certainly didn't and I think I would have been horrified if I accidentally had done!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonette Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 pm

No an 11 year old should certainly not be reading it! I'm 24 and cannot deal with any book that includes details of sexual violence (assault or rape) at all. I find it horribly traumatising, I love fantasy and some sci-fi and can deal with violence/battle scenes and don't find them upsetting. Sexual violence gets a book binned.
Dragonette
Dragonette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 pm

I am a wicked step mother, so anything I say is automatically wrong, or pointless.

But I do my best

PS I am not really wicked, just some think it. Inside I am a nice gooey marshmellow step mum.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowNails Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm

I also have a love affair going on with my kindle

I read the first 50 shades on holiday but couldnt bring myself to read the other two it was that bad.

I like Dan Brown esque stuff
Thrillers
Lawyers
Chick Lit

and loads more

Anyone who hasnt read the Hunger Games should read it immediately

Currently I am reading the first Cotton Malone Book by Steve Berry

The Templar Legacy
RainbowNails
RainbowNails

Back to top Go down