Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shopping Advice please?

+3
mmmmchocolate
SueD
LoolaBeanbag
7 posters

Go down

Shopping Advice please? Empty Shopping Advice please?

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 pm

OK, so the sun in shining and the shops are therefore depleted any decent summer clothing, leaving only fluoro boobtubes and animal print culottes for those who didn't have the will to buy their summer wardrobe in January. It appears that the winter stuff is hitting the rails now with no further deliveries of summer stuff as 'the season is over'. Really? Look out of the window love.
I am a very particular shape, and a very particular shopper. I know how to best conceal my arse which is the size of two double deckers side by side and my thighs which are similar in shape and appearance to those big hunks of meat that spin around on the spit at the local Kebab shop.

This means only one garment will do - linen trousers. They hang in the right places, don't cling and are soft and comfy to wear. However, when whittling down the remaining available options, one - the crops and three quarters (just no, not for a lardy midget), two - white (I have small children and a tendency to wear black grundies), three - bright colours, four - formal styles (I don't do formal. Ever) and finally linen 'mix' (I am a pure linen snob, and it's all about the way it hangs).

Unless I compromise on one of these criteria I'm going to be buggered. The most sensible thing to look at would be the linen blends, there are quite a few styles of these kicking about. So after all of my rambling, the crux of the matter is: Does anyone know how linen blend feels/swings/hangs compared to pure linen? (Most of these types seem to be 45% linen.)
(Or alternatively, does anyone know where to buy black or brown pure linen trousers in a size 20/22 with a drawstring waist and short/medium leg for under thirty quid?!! Laughing )
Thanks!! Loola x
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Shopping Advice please? Empty Re: Shopping Advice please?

Post  SueD Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Have you tried Primark? I think they go up to a 20? I've bought drawstring fill length brown and black linen trousers from there in the past Smile
They used to do different lengths ,not sure if they still do though!
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 pm

I haven't looked in Primark Sue (there isn't one in Dover), but I think they'd need to be a generous 20 and I find Primark a bit skimpy (vs M&S!)
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 pm

I actually prefer a linen / cotton blend to pure linen - I find 100% linen a bit scratchy, and the blends tend to be a lot softer. As long as it's blended with cotton rather than anything nasty and artificial, you should be fine.

The primark ones were 100% linen last time I looked - they do go up to a 20, but, like you say, the sizing is a bit mean. 
Have you tried peacocks? Tends to be a bit better quality than primark, and with much more realistic sizing Smile
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks mmmchoc, you may have just given me a hearty nudge towards the mix fabrics. I'll have a look in Peacocks too - I think we still have one in town Very Happy 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:07 am

I prefer linen mixed with cotton too. Not only are they more comfortable but they wash and iron better too. I got my last few pairs from primark but have also had success with m&s and surprisingly, tesco xx
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 am

eBay is usually worth a try too? x
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:12 am

Sainsburys. Love them. Can't get into them at the moment but when I can I live and die in them!!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I buy linen blend from Next and they are pretty good too.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Oh the dreaded summer wardrobe...........I detest my body so much I usually wear jeans the whole time even in sweltering heat. The world does not need to see my pasty, dumpy legs in shorts or skirts. God only knows what on earth I am going to wear for a week in St Ives! No
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Babafette wrote:Oh the dreaded summer wardrobe...........I detest my body so much I usually wear jeans the whole time even in sweltering heat. The world does not need to see my pasty, dumpy legs in shorts or skirts. God only knows what on earth I am going to wear for a week in St Ives! No

I'm the same - jeans on at least 360 days of the year Smile When it's really hot though, I like baggy cotton combat / cargo type trousers.
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:58 am

Babafette wrote:Oh the dreaded summer wardrobe...........I detest my body so much I usually wear jeans the whole time even in sweltering heat. The world does not need to see my pasty, dumpy legs in shorts or skirts. God only knows what on earth I am going to wear for a week in St Ives! No

Linens, seriously Baba. I used to wear jeans all summer until I discovered that wide leg linens look actually quite nice, even on a weeble like me Very Happy 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 am

I never wear shorts or skirts either Baba, as I have huge fat ankles Sad I will wear a maxi dress though if it's long enough,the most comfy item of clothing I own Smile I only have one though as the proportions are all wrong on most of them Sad
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 am

I love maxi dresses. The only problem is chub rub. Super uncomfortable.
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 am

Loola - are these the kind of thing you're looking for: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]? Noticed them while I was out today Smile
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:33 am

shoppingaddict wrote:I love maxi dresses. The only problem is chub rub. Super uncomfortable.

I had a couple of goth friends in long skirts join us for Chilfest and we had exactly this discussion in the pub on the Sunday. They both swear by Evans comfort shorts.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 am

mmmmmchoc, those are exactly what I want. I have a couple of Asda pairs now, and the 22s a perfect fit. They're out of stock in my size online but thanks so much for letting me know that they still have them in stores - I'll head out tomorrow. Very Happy  I found an brand new pair in the wardrobe today, but they're a 20 and I think I must have bought them last year with good intentions..........Laughing 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 am

HanSpan wrote:
shoppingaddict wrote:I love maxi dresses. The only problem is chub rub. Super uncomfortable.

I had a couple of goth friends in long skirts join us for Chilfest and we had exactly this discussion in the pub on the Sunday.  They both swear by Evans comfort shorts.  

Thanks will investigate!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Have just ordered a couple of pairs. Reviews seem good!!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:28 pm

I assume by chub rub you mean the delightful feeling of two generous thighs chafing together as you walk? Yes, it's horrible. Sometimes I'd just rather be hot in trousers than put up with that. Neutral
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Babafette wrote:
I assume by chub rub you mean the delightful feeling of two generous thighs chafing together as you walk? Yes, it's horrible. Sometimes I'd just rather be hot in trousers than put up with that. Neutral

Yup that's the one! I generally live in trousers but I do have skirts that I'd like to wear this time of year but can't. Humph!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down