Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know how to concentrate glitter?

+5
annita008
mmmmchocolate
ninjablossom
SueD
LoolaBeanbag
9 posters

Go down

Anyone know how to concentrate glitter? Empty Anyone know how to concentrate glitter?

Post  LoolaBeanbag Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Anyone know of a way to reduce the amount of base in a glitter polish without tipping the glitter away? Some I have are too sparse, but I don't want to add a different glitter to them, I just want to remove some of the treacle they're suspended in. Nothing worse than four gloopy coats just to get a good coverage of glitter. Dab and splodge or whatever it's called still leaves me with too much treacle.
Thanks! Very Happy 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to concentrate glitter? Empty Re: Anyone know how to concentrate glitter?

Post  SueD Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:11 am

Sieve it?!
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to concentrate glitter? Empty Re: Anyone know how to concentrate glitter?

Post  ninjablossom Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 am

There was a blog about the dab method that looked good... I can't find the original blog tho Sad (everything is so much more difficult with out a laptop Sad ) it was a Spanish blog...
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:29 am

I've got a polish that's a clear base with (not enough!) silver holo glitter (revlon one - can't remember the name - it's probably changed anyway Smile) - I just scoured ebay for a similar-enough suitable glitter and topped it up - worked like a charm. 

Obviously not always an option (especially if it's a particularly interesting or unusual glitter mix) but maybe worth a look?
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  annita008 Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 am

ninjablossom wrote:There was a blog about the dab method that looked good... I can't find the original blog tho Sad(everything is so much more difficult with out a laptop Sad) it was a Spanish blog...

if you need help with the translation. i can help Smile
annita008
annita008

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 am

I've seen on a few blogs, paint it onto a sponge and then sponge it on. Most of the base gets absorbed into the sponge then Smile
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 am

annita008 wrote:
ninjablossom wrote:There was a blog about the dab method that looked good... I can't find the original blog tho Sad(everything is so much more difficult with out a laptop Sad) it was a Spanish blog...

if you need help with the translation. i can help Smile

She did itin English and Spanish - but that's handy to know, I may well call on your offer! I'm toying with the idea of a Spanish class in Sept, although I spent 4 months in Spanish speaking countries 2 years ago and picked up nothing, so why I think I'll learn in an evening class who knows Sad 
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:28 am

I would personally poke a bit or tissue paper into the bottle, the liquid should travel up and fully absorb but leave the majority of the glitter in the bottle.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 am

Jasmina wrote:I would personally poke a bit or tissue paper into the bottle, the liquid should travel up and fully absorb but leave the majority of the glitter in the bottle.

Thanks Jasmina, I'm going to try this Very Happy 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  fellrunner Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 am

Jasmina wrote:I would personally poke a bit or tissue paper into the bottle, the liquid should travel up and fully absorb but leave the majority of the glitter in the bottle.

I've heard people suggest *seiving* it by pouring it through a bit cut from a pair of old tights, but I think Jasmina's idea sounds a lot less messy!
fellrunner
fellrunner

http://uknailrunner.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 am

And I have no tights, stockings, pop socks or chuff all!!Laughing I am so not a laydee......
I still haven't tried this yet, but I hope to have a go with a cheeky bottle of Etude House over the weekend Very Happy 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:12 am

Kitchen roll will probably be more absorbent but may also manage to lift glitter out aswell. I reckon if you take it slowly you will be fine.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:24 am

Did this work Loola?

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 am

Jasmina wrote:Did this work Loola?

No Jas. I keep sucking up glitter and having to pick it of the kitchen roll, and only a smidgin of treacle comes out anyway. I'm going to nick some tights off my Dad at the weekend. Yup, you read that right - he wears tights like support stockings for his varicose veins!!
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:11 am

His secret is safe with me lol. Wont you need to pick the glitter off the tights aswell?

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:13 am

Jasmina wrote:His secret is safe with me lol. Wont you need to pick the glitter off the tights aswell?

I'm going to try the sieve thing.  Daughter wants to earn some pocket money and has wonderfully dainty digits......!Very Happy

Last edited by LoolaBeanbag on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Twatfink Wednesday. It's happening a lot today.....)
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  visualize Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:55 pm

I was thinking about this the other day when I found one of my glitters had seperated. It's probably easier to concentrate when all the glitter has sunk to the bottom of the bottle leaving the clear polish floating on top.

This is what I was thinking of doing:
Leave the bottle to seperate (I stupidly shook the bottle so now I have to wait again Rolling Eyes ).
When the pretty glitter has sunk to the bottom of the bottle and the clear polish has settled on the top use a glass dropper (http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/safe-and-sound-glass-dropper.html) or an oral syringe ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to suck the polish out.
I'm hoping the dropper/syringe will suck the clear polish up. They're meant for children's medicines which can be quite thick so it should work. Neutral
visualize
visualize

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm

visualize wrote:I was thinking about this the other day when I found one of my glitters had seperated. It's probably easier to concentrate when all the glitter has sunk to the bottom of the bottle leaving the clear polish floating on top.

This is what I was thinking of doing:
Leave the bottle to seperate (I stupidly shook the bottle so now I have to wait again Rolling Eyes ).
When the pretty glitter has sunk to the bottom of the bottle and the clear polish has settled on the top use a glass dropper (http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/safe-and-sound-glass-dropper.html) or an oral syringe ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to suck the polish out.
I'm hoping the dropper/syringe will suck the clear polish up. They're meant for children's medicines which can be quite thick so it should work. Neutral

I use a children's medicine syringe for my franken nail polishes so it definitely will work, I normally decant into a larger plastic container to make it easier but perfectly possible if you til the original bottle.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down