Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm having issues with my forum use

+20
Princess Sossidge
RainbowNails
fellrunner
Babafette
martinsgirl
HanSpan
Jasmina
backhoe71
Peony
Nail Luxxe
Wesker
Laura
Sally Magpie
SueD
starrystarry
shoppingaddict
mmmmchocolate
kelpyg
ninjablossom
LoolaBeanbag
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use Empty I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:49 pm

I've put my thoughts in here so that everyone can see them, I'm not going to hide them away.
I'm having issues with the way the forum works - a forum is a meeting place to exchange information and chat, yet of our 228 'members' and numerous guests, very few contribute.
I don't want my posts to my online friends mauled over by couple of hundred freeloaders who don't join in and offer nothing in return - posting thoughts, help, advice, pictures, and worst of all grabbits. A handful of members say thanks, the lurkers fill their boots. Truly demonstrative of the way society is evolving.

I absolutely love being here, chatting to the regulars (and my posts are purely for them) but am becoming increasingly aware that there's zero or very little input from the masses who lurk and 'take'. Quite often I see the names of 'members' online, none of which we've ever met. The guest numbers are similar.

I would like to see a closed membership only for those who post regularly and share only with those who share in return. This would demonstrate the true mechanics of a forum.
This is why I stopped using MSE, I wouldn't work for the eBay/Bootsale scratters or offer advice free of charge.
I was also disturbed to find that someone, somewhere had Googled my username of LoolaBeanbag a while back. (If it was you, PM me and I'll tell you everything you want to know).

I can now also understand why others blog.
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use Empty Re: I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  ninjablossom Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 pm

how did you tell someone googled you? Smile

I know people are shy and don't want to post but I'd agree they should post - you can create a name unrelated to real life so theres nothing to be shy about. So I'd say to the lurkers, COME AND JOIN US, WE DON'T BITE!

And I can understand your frustration, your polish knowledge is exceptional Loola, I think its a shame you don't have a blog but at the same time, I'm kind of glad you share your knowledge with just us Very Happy but yeah if people are just freeloading and not thanking you for your fab contribution that does indeed suck. So again to the lurkers, COME SAY HI AND THANK THE LOVELY PEOPLE. WE DON'T BITE.

alien 
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use Empty Re: I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks for your kind words Ninja!
I'd love more people to join in - I tried a 'direct shout out' a couple of days ago.

I feel that if we had a trial membership period with a minimum number of posts required during that time, the 'ice would be broken' in that period and the potential member would be more comfortable to continue posting with us. It's a case of the more you put in, the more you get out. I get plenty out Laughing 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpyg Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 pm

I can understand how frustrated you are and I apologise for doing more lurking than posting I do try and contribute if I think I can.
kelpyg
kelpyg

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 pm

kelpyg wrote:I can understand how frustrated you are and I apologise for doing more lurking than posting I do try and contribute if I think I can.

Nah, not you Kelpy! We know you Very Happy !
I'm only referring to the one's we've never met Suspect 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpyg Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Phew!
kelpyg
kelpyg

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 pm

You've got me feeling guilty as well now - I lurk much more than I post. Must try harder Smile
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 pm

I wouldn't feel guilty, its not aimed at you guys or I don't think even people who maybe post once a week!

Its just trying to get the ones who have registered and never said Hi and just lurk all the time to join in and play.
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 pm

I agree, I dread to think what my post count is at the moment (dare not look!), but we often say oh the forum has been quiet or whatever and the regulars come on and apologise that life got in the way etc etc, but if all those zero posters made an effort to come and say hi we'd be busy all the time.

Honestly lurkers out there, please come and join in with us, we are lovely really you must realise that or else you wouldn't have joined! Come say hi and give us a go!

Share your nail knowledge with us, we really want to know!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:07 am

Firstly, why on earth would someone google a user name?  To try to find out personal stuff about them?

I agree that it's a shame that so many people don't want to post, or don't feel confident enough to post.  But I'm not sure I'd like to see the forum become completely closed.  I'm kind of put off joining closed groups on FB etc because I think it'll be cliquey.

Is there any more we can do to encourage people to join in?  I do think that a lot of people are just shy, or think they've nothing interesting to say.  Whereas the rest of us will waffle on regardless even if it isn't interesting Laughing 

Maybe when we see a member logged on that we've never heard from we should start a thread with their username on it, encourage them to say hello?

EDIT: ooh ooh I've just spotted the top twenty posters thing! Shoppingaddict...you're #1 cheers 

Last edited by starrystarry on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:08 am

I suppose because people can just sign up, read and use all the info ,they will Sad I'm pretty sure I joined properly as I couldn't see the photos people had attached (and I wanted to know what you were all raving about :0 ),you can still read most of the posts on here whether you're a member or not.
I was a bit shy at first,it's always a bit scary when you fell like a newbie but I love it here (even if I'm always broke Wink these days ! )
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  mmmmchocolate Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 am

SueD wrote:I suppose because people can just sign up, read and use all the info ,they will :(I'm pretty sure I joined properly as I couldn't see the photos people had attached (and I wanted to know what you were all raving about :0 ),you can still read most of the posts on here whether you're a member or not.
I was a bit shy at first,it's always a bit scary when you fell like a newbie but I love it here (even if I'm always broke ;)these days ! )

Same here! I followed you all over from the mse thread and I joined because you had to be a member to view photos and links - it was ages before I actually posted anything Smile
mmmmchocolate
mmmmchocolate

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:48 am

Bloody hell. Number 1 poster. Does that make me dedicated or sad!!!! Lol
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:01 am

shoppingaddict wrote:Bloody hell. Number 1 poster. Does that make me dedicated or sad!!!! Lol

No, it makes you wise and willing to share your knowledge Wink Very Happy 
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:01 am

I am really sorry that you are upset Loola. If you want me to amend your username to something else, just let me know.

Must admit I wouldn't want to be a closed shop. Who is going to join if they don't know what it is like here?

A huge number of the members will be bots. There is bugger all you can do about them joining.
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:06 am

Is it possible to maybe delete users who haven't posted after a certain amount of time? Probably time consuming but might make the number of 'real' members more realistic?
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:18 am

Sally Magpie wrote:I am really sorry that you are upset Loola. If you want me to amend your username to something else, just let me know.

Must admit I wouldn't want to be a closed shop. Who is going to join if they don't know what it is like here?

A huge number of the members will be bots. There is bugger all you can do about them joining.

we don't get alot of actual spam posts, never notice before but thats pretty cool. Smile
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:40 am

Sally Magpie wrote:I am really sorry that you are upset Loola. If you want me to amend your username to something else, just let me know.

Once a Beanbag, always a Beanbag Sal!
I'm happy to stay as Loola:D 

I'd like to see a set period after which 'browsers' needed to join to continue using the site, followed by membership requirements.
I don't think it's a forum as such as it is now Sad as I like to know who's reading my info (hey stalker, that means YOU!!)Laughing 

I realise that I read the rules when I joined, and if I don't like it I should just 'do one'.

What on earth is a bot? My only knowledge of bots is that I have a massive one Very Happy 

LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 am

I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive when I joined as I was worried that everyone had already "cliqued" and knew each other but I'm really happy that's not the case at all, it took me a while to get into it but with nearly 1,000 posts I think I've done OK. Very Happy

It's a shame we don't have more regular users but they will come with time, it does bug me a little bit when people just lurk I must confess, but I can relate as I constantly felt like I was butting in with the regulars when I joined, though that may just be my paranoia. Very Happy
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am

I do agree with Sal though a closed community is not the way to go. If I can't see a group content I won't join. It's just one of those things, freeloaders everywhere.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 am

I'm going to start doing a shout out when I see names I don't recognise. Let's see if that'll flush 'em out.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:06 am

I have seen some forums where they have to have posted, say 100, times before getting access to "the good stuff"?
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:04 am

Laura wrote:I have seen some forums where they have to have posted, say 100, times before getting access to "the good stuff"?

Yup, agree with this.
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Wesker Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:10 am

Yh we should have a few 'open' sections but the rest to be unlocked after 10, 20 or whatever number of posts
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  Nail Luxxe Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:12 am

starrystarry wrote:I'm going to start doing a shout out when I see names I don't recognise.  Let's see if that'll flush 'em out.

I think that approach is somewhat part of the problem.  Putting the spotlight on a 'lurker' seems like it would make them hide away even more and just in general talking about them probably makes them feel even more separated from the contributors.

I don't think that everyone is "shy" or has a "lack of confidence" sometimes they just don't have much to contribute. Not everyone knows about a deal, has a photo to share of a new polish they bought, or has reassuring words to offer someone that's had a bad day.

I do think there should be a balance though where every member at least says "Hi" but in an encouraging, cheerful way instead of a "Hey!  You over there! You haven't contributed a thing to this forum so you better talk up or you're out!" kinda way.
Nail Luxxe
Nail Luxxe

http://thenailluxxe.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next