Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm having issues with my forum use

+20
Princess Sossidge
RainbowNails
fellrunner
Babafette
martinsgirl
HanSpan
Jasmina
backhoe71
Peony
Nail Luxxe
Wesker
Laura
Sally Magpie
SueD
starrystarry
shoppingaddict
mmmmchocolate
kelpyg
ninjablossom
LoolaBeanbag
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 am

I've seen a hidden member logged in a few times at this time of the night too. What's that all about ?!

LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use - Page 3 Empty Re: I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  Laura Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 am

Me too Loola!
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 am

LoolaBeanbag wrote:I've seen a hidden member logged in a few times at this time of the night too.  What's that all about ?!
I always wondered that. Is that when you hide the fact that you are actually online and browsing the forum? What's the point of that? Suspect
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Jeez, there's 2 hidden members on here now. Why?!!! Who goes there? Friend or foe? Laughing Laughing Laughing 
I'm outnumbered by the hiddens and the guests right now Laughing They still don't irk me as much as the nil post members who still use but don't contribute affraid Not that I sound like a cracked record or anything.........Laughing 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sally Magpie Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm

People hide for a multitude of reasons.

One reason could be you are browsing when you shouldn't. ie at work or school. If one of your friends spots you on you are in trouble, but if your hidden its fine!
Sally Magpie
Sally Magpie

http://nailpron.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm

The midnight night hider must work the late shift Sal!

LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Princess Sossidge Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

On a another forum I post on we do have the "members only" section locked away and you are manually approved by an admin when your post count is greater than 200 / you are deemed to be not a mentaller.

I do think things should be kept open so that this will encourage new members to join in, but perhaps those that are creating accounts, then not posting (so they can see pictures? / access members sections?) should be culled if they remain inactive / don't ever post after x amount of time, but perhaps with a warning first that their account will be deleted if they remain inactive?
Princess Sossidge
Princess Sossidge

http://www.nuthinbutanailthing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nail Luxxe Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:48 am

Well this thread has certainly increased engagement Very Happy (albeit with the 'regular' members) but it's fun to see so much action on the forum

Princess Sossidge wrote:On a another forum I post on we do have the "members only" section locked away and you are manually approved by an admin when your post count is greater than 200 / you are deemed to be not a mentaller.

I do think things should be kept open so that this will encourage new members to join in, but perhaps those that are creating accounts, then not posting (so they can see pictures?  / access members sections?) should be culled if they remain inactive / don't ever post after x amount of time, but perhaps with a warning first that their account will be deleted if they remain inactive?

Would love to see something come from this thread and have some of the suggestions come to life. Admins - is there a way to make any of this stuff happen e.g. certain number of posts to see hidden info/be sent an email about inactivity?
Nail Luxxe
Nail Luxxe

http://thenailluxxe.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am

Hmm...I agree that there are probably some people who register and then don't actually come back and use it, I think we're probably all guilty of doing that on various websites (god knows how many websites I'm registered on...), but I don't think accounts should be deleted if members don't post. I lurked on MSE and just read things for about two years before I made my first post. Sometimes people don't feel they have anything to contribute and sometimes people feel intimidated by how well everyone else seems to know each other, so I think if people are happy to just read without posting, leave them too it. And if people do register and never come back, does it matter that our number of members looks higher than it actually is?

I can't say it bothers me that I might be giving unknown people tips or advice and getting nothing back from them (although maybe that's because I don't have many tips to give...hmmm....) but I don't know if that's because I have a blog? I'm quite happy chucking everything I know out in the blogosphere for anyone to use as they please Smile
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Shezza Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

As one of the non-posting lurkers who has been unsettling some of you, please accept my apologies. I hadn't considered the impact of a large number of lurkers could have in relation to a small number of active posters.

I am a fan of all things nail polish-related, an amateur nail painter and one who signed up here when MSE stupidly blocked blog links and photos. Some of you might know me as Shereen from the Lush forum, but I'm far more active as @shezza_t on Twitter these days. I read here once or twice a month for inspiration and to keep an eye on offers.

I can't promise to be a big contributor here: I have a couple of online places I've been active in for years (an embarrassing number of years in some cases), and I'm struggling to keep up with forums, blogs, Twitter feeds and Facebook. To say nothing of this to-read pile of magazines and books that's sitting looking accusingly at me.

I do read, appreciate, and admire your work. And boggle at the creativity and skill many of you show. So thank you for all the tips, inspiration and offers I've got here over the months. Oh and you are solely to blame for my Poundland/Poundworld visits.

I am also a member of the Helmer club.
Shezza
Shezza

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:55 am

Shezza wrote:As one of the non-posting lurkers who has been unsettling some of you, please accept my apologies. I hadn't considered the impact of a large number of lurkers could have in relation to a small number of active posters.

I am a fan of all things nail polish-related, an amateur nail painter and one who signed up here when MSE stupidly blocked blog links and photos. Some of you might know me as Shereen from the Lush forum, but I'm far more active as @shezza_t on Twitter these days. I read here once or twice a month for inspiration and to keep an eye on offers.

I can't promise to be a big contributor here: I have a couple of online places I've been active in for years (an embarrassing number of years in some cases), and I'm struggling to keep up with forums, blogs, Twitter feeds and Facebook. To say nothing of this to-read pile of magazines and books that's sitting looking accusingly at me.

I do read, appreciate, and admire your work. And boggle at the creativity and skill many of you show. So thank you for all the tips, inspiration and offers I've got here over the months. Oh and you are solely to blame for my Poundland/Poundworld visits.

I am also a member of the Helmer club.

Hi and welcome!!! Nice to meet you!
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

http://prettypolishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjablossom Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:11 am

Hi Shezzer! Smile
ninjablossom
ninjablossom

http://ninjablossomnails.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:42 am

Hi Shezzer. we'd love to see some pics of your nails if you get chance x
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Wesker Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:44 am

Welcome Shezzer Smile 
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  SueD Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:45 am

Hi Shezzer Smile
SueD
SueD

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 am

hiya cheers 

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  jo4576 Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 am

I'm guilty of lurking - I don't post very often at all.

I am a member of a closed user group on FB and it isn't as cliquey as you might think. There are a few that totally gush over the same people's nails that gets my goat a bit but it's not as bad you might expect.

One thing that goes in the FB page's favour is the ease I can add pictures to it compared to here. It is a piece of cake to take something on my phone and upload straight to the site. I find it a bit cumbersome here - this isn't a complaint just an observation that others might have too.

I am also a 'bog standard' polish purchaser and don't own any indie polishes so whilst I like looking at pics of yours, it doesn't really float my boat.

I will try and post a bit more if I can......are there any apps that work with this site to make photo upload easier?
jo4576
jo4576

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 am

jo4576 wrote:I'm guilty of lurking - I don't post very often at all.

I am a member of a closed user group on FB and it isn't as cliquey as you might think. There are a few that totally gush over the same people's nails that gets my goat a bit but it's not as bad you might expect.

One thing that goes in the FB page's favour is the ease I can add pictures to it compared to here. It is a piece of cake to take something on my phone and upload straight to the site. I find it a bit cumbersome here - this isn't a complaint just an observation that others might have too.

I am also a 'bog standard' polish purchaser and don't own any indie polishes so whilst I like looking at pics of yours, it doesn't really float my boat.

I will try and post a bit more if I can......are there any apps that work with this site to make photo upload easier?

The photobucket app is quite good, that is how I do mine mainly. You can upload from facebook if you put the link into URL command format.
Also if you use tapatalk for browsing forums you can upload quickly (I don't have it so just passing on comments from other users).

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Shezza Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks guys Smile

I don't photograph my polishes because I don't really like my hands. I have my Mother's knuckles and my Father's dry skin - I almost spend more time battling dry cuticles and nails than I do polishing.

Here's a rare pic of an attempt with the dotting tool: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm another member of the blues and greens fan club, and I own far more glitters than is entirely sensible for a woman of my years.

Last edited by Shezza on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Shezza
Shezza

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 am

Ohhh I like that! Good choice of colours and your dots are round! Unlike mine.....
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Shezza Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 am

shoppingaddict wrote:Ohhh I like that! Good choice of colours and your dots are round! Unlike mine.....

Ta. I spent ages doing my nails alternate green dots on blue and blue dots on green, only for the overall look of both colour layerings to look the same. D'oh.
Shezza
Shezza

Back to top Go down

Post  shoppingaddict Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 am

I really like it.
shoppingaddict
shoppingaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 am

Shezza, you can never own too many glitters. Never say such a thing again lol.

Jo, I know what you mean, I don't upload many pics on here because I find it a complete pain in the bum. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but once I add a picture to a post I can't get rid of the dialogue box that pops up...
Sam
Sam

http://polishedart.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 am

Hi Shezza and Jo, I'm glad I haven't scared you off with my almighty gob (which needs reigning in sometimes)..
I love your dots Shezza, I'm another blue and green fan Very Happy and also another one who battles constantly with dry (and split) cuticles. I've been using cracked heel cream on mine recently, it's helped a bit but I still haven't found a miracle cure Crying or Very sad 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:29 am

Another blue and green fan here. And another person in a constant battle with dry skin. I'm winning at the moment after finally finding the right product for my skin (Superdrug Vitamin E skin oil), but whether it will last I don't know.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next