Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm having issues with my forum use

+20
Princess Sossidge
RainbowNails
fellrunner
Babafette
martinsgirl
HanSpan
Jasmina
backhoe71
Peony
Nail Luxxe
Wesker
Laura
Sally Magpie
SueD
starrystarry
shoppingaddict
mmmmchocolate
kelpyg
ninjablossom
LoolaBeanbag
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  Wesker Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:15 am

We have got a 'Welcome' section but not many use it Crying or Very sad 
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

I'm having issues with my forum use - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm having issues with my forum use

Post  Wesker Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:21 am

Do new members get a 'Welcome' email?
Cant remember as a long time since i registered Rolling Eyes 
Maybe a few lines when they first register would be an idea Idea
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:40 am

Nail Luxxe wrote:
starrystarry wrote:I'm going to start doing a shout out when I see names I don't recognise.  Let's see if that'll flush 'em out.

I think that approach is somewhat part of the problem.  Putting the spotlight on a 'lurker' seems like it would make them hide away even more and just in general talking about them probably makes them feel even more separated from the contributors.

I don't think that everyone is "shy" or has a "lack of confidence" sometimes they just don't have much to contribute. Not everyone knows about a deal, has a photo to share of a new polish they bought, or has reassuring words to offer someone that's had a bad day.

I do think there should be a balance though where every member at least says "Hi" but in an encouraging, cheerful way instead of a "Hey!  You over there! You haven't contributed a thing to this forum so you better talk up or you're out!" kinda way.

But how can that be part of the problem when we haven't been putting the spotlight on lurkers. This is the first time the issue has been raised.

I certainly haven't said that if people don't contribute they should be out. I just think we should do everything we can to encourage people to join in.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:22 am

I'll be brutally honest and say that I think non contributors should be removed if after a generous trial period they don't feel comfortable enough to join in. Internet forums - jeez, scary places! Why join if they're not your thing?!
As I originally said, the idea of a forum is to exchange, not just help oneself.

I'd love to see more people taking part but nothing we say is going to make them.
Holy shit, I've probably just frightened another 50 off Rolling Eyes 

Militant Loola. What a Face 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Peony Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:30 am

Well seeing the number of blog hits I have over some nail things v's the pitiful number of followers I have and the handful of people who have bothered to leave comments I can well believe there are a lot of non-posters on many forums. Doesn't really bother me much but I do try and leave thanks where appropriate although I'm not sure how to do this here.

Peony

http://1008hollywalkpark.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:31 am

I would love to see a bit more activity here, I know life gets in the way, so I'm trying to be a bit more active Very Happy
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  backhoe71 Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:33 am

Im hoping now I've finished my college course I can be a bit more 'active'!!!

backhoe71

Back to top Go down

Post  Wesker Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:44 am

backhoe71 wrote:Im hoping now I've finished my college course I can be a bit more 'active'!!!

A 20 mile jog might just do it Razz
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  Nail Luxxe Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 am

@Starry I know you did not say people should be out if they don't contribute over time, Loola did lol. However, I used that comment as example of the way this thread seems to separate people into 'them' and 'us' categories which doesn't work towards our aim.

I just think we should look at how we can increase engagement without singling out users like that new thread that was put up today.

Nail Luxxe
Nail Luxxe

http://thenailluxxe.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmina Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 am

I think members joining and not posting is the nature of online forums, create and account to get a feel for the place, don't want to contribute but dont request the account to be deleted either.

I guess some people want to see the nail pics but don't want to post. I don't watermark my images and I don't mind if someone gets inspiration from me.

I wasn't a member of mse but I used to read the nail thread all the time, I didn't want to be a member of that forum and I didn't think it was unethical to use information posted their for my own gain, in fact I found the majority very greedy getting ridiculous amounts of glitches and ruining it for other people.

I joined here because I wanted to feel a part of thr community, I would not start my own blog and I don't comment on others but I like thr idea of sharing my pictures here.

Jasmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Wesker Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 am

We need to find a way to encourage to newbies to post, maybe a competition once a month.
Win a polish if you post the best pic/joke/tip etc

I used to run a gaming forum and would run a comp every month for a free t-shirt for the best caption for a screenshot from the game, was very popular.
Maybe a monthly comp for the best pic of nails etc Exclamation
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Post  Nail Luxxe Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:07 am

I like the ideas about a certain number of posts (or at least introduce yourself) to 'see the good stuff' Is there a way that that could actually be implemented?
Nail Luxxe
Nail Luxxe

http://thenailluxxe.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:16 am

Now I want to google Loolabeanbag. It would never have occured to me before but I'm really fighting myself not to do it now!

I'm seriously unobservant so don't register how many people are members, or logged in, or even posting to be honest. Usually I'm annoyed at my lack of ability to notice things, seems like it might be an advantage in this area!

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:20 am

I have to admit I haven't seen the amount of inactive people here, but would just love to see some more posts Smile
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  martinsgirl Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 am

Just had a look, apparently I'm the 29th top poster. Shocked at that, I'm rubbish at posting!
martinsgirl
martinsgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:30 am

Ooh I'm number 6, didn't think I was that high!
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpyg Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 am

I’m 13th today but i don’t make the top 20 overall
kelpyg
kelpyg

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 am

Nail Luxxe wrote:@Starry I know you did not say people should be out if they don't contribute over time, Loola did lol. However, I used that comment as example of the way this thread seems to separate people into 'them' and 'us' categories which doesn't work towards our aim.  

I just think we should look at how we can increase engagement without singling out users like that new thread that was put up today.

Thanks Luxxe. I think you might have misunderstood the purpose of that thread though. It wasn't an "Oi you, why are you not posting" thread. It was genuinely meant as a " welcome to the forum".

I'm all for any ideas that will encourage people to post.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:50 am

I do find it a little frustrating that there are so many members who don't contribute at all or even just introduce themselves. Neutral 
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  fellrunner Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 pm

I agree it would be nice to see more comments and people participating. I'll try to make more of an effort to join in conversations and post pictures in future! I'm a bit wary of coming off looking like I'm just spamming to promote my blog if I post pictures of my nails here every day though!

And I agree with the comment about blog readers / comments from above - my pageview numbers (even after taking out the referrer spam numbers) never seem to translate into new followers or many comments. Most of the comments I get are from regular readers who I sort of *know*, which is nice, but it would be nicer if new people added a comment too. I always make a point of leaving a comment on blogs when I see something I like, or I think I've got something constructive to say.
fellrunner
fellrunner

http://uknailrunner.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowNails Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 am

Another one guilty of reading and not posting much but this is the first time I have been on here for a few days.

If I see a question or topic I can answer then I try my best to help
RainbowNails
RainbowNails

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowNails Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 am

I think my other problem is I don't have a lot to say and I can't afford all the indie polishes or more unusual ones so most of mine are bog standard from boots and superdrug.

I am also not on Facebook so I know I miss out there as well nor do I blog. I am pretty boring really.
RainbowNails
RainbowNails

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 am

RainbowNails wrote:I am also not on Facebook so I know I miss out there as well nor do I blog. I am pretty boring really.
Nah, you're not boring and there's nothing wrong with bog standard polishes from Boots or Superdrug. Very Happy  I'm not on Facebook either and I'm damn sure nobody would be interested in anything I were to blog about!! Razz  Laughing 
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  LoolaBeanbag Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 am

I'll second the bog standard polish appreciation. Barry M's legendary! I rarely facebook (maybe annually?) and am another non-blogger.
There's no guilt to be felt by non posting often though Rainbow, you post! Many don't. alien 
LoolaBeanbag
LoolaBeanbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Laura Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:25 am

I Facebook way too much, but at 21 I think I can get away with it Embarassed
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next