Nail Polish Addicts Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naked nails

+2
Linzi
Wesker
6 posters

Go down

Naked nails Empty Naked nails

Post  Wesker Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:23 am

I thought it would be interesting for people to post pics of their nails with no polish on Embarassed
Just so we can compare as a 'blank canvas' so to speak.
I've always thought i had very weak nails. I have never been a biter, but do pick at the skin around them a bit (not as much now)
They have always been very flexible and bend easy, which then creates a crack at the side and eventually the whole nail rips off Sad (well not the whole nail but the white bit)
Thats why i've never really bothered with polish before because when the nail bends the polish cracks Crying or Very sad
Since reading the MSE thread i have been using solar oil regularly (thanks to Linzi i think) and it has helped.
Also i use rubber gloves when washing up (even tho i dont like them)
My nails dont look a lot different but on several occasions i have bashed one and though 'sh!t thats broke' but it has been fine? scratch
My nails are looking the best they have for a long time Very Happy
I thought if we all posted bare nail pics we could be open to advice from more knowledgeable people with regards to condition and also nail shape/length compared to our fingers cos i'm never sure how to shape my nails Neutral
The following pic is of my right hand as my left has one stupidy short nail at the mo, it has a weak spot on it and just splits after it get to a certain length Sad
Also my nails go transparant after they have been in water for a while. Any advice appreciated Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Wesker
Wesker

Back to top Go down

Naked nails Empty Re: Naked nails

Post  Linzi Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:51 am

*Wesker* wrote:Since reading the MSE thread i have been using solar oil regularly (thanks to Linzi i think) and it has helped.
Also i use rubber gloves when washing up (even tho i dont like them)
My nails dont look a lot different but on several occasions i have bashed one and though 'sh!t thats broke' but it has been fine? scratch
My nails are looking the best they have for a long time Very Happy
I'm glad to hear it! Very Happy

The following pic is of my right hand as my left has one stupidy short nail at the mo, it has a weak spot on it and just splits after it get to a certain length Sad
Also my nails go transparant after they have been in water for a while. Any advice appreciated Wink
Unfortunately, some nails just don't grow all that well, sometimes due to damage (sometimes you don't even know you've done it!) or that may just be a quirk of that particular nail.

Nails are like little sponges, they soak up water and swell - I don't know why they still teach water manicures in colleges, 'cos it's not actually great for nails! It also causes polish to chip much, much quicker than it should because when the nails dry out and shrink back down, the polish doesn't 'fit' anymore. In short (ha!), there's nothing wrong with your nails when they go transparent Smile

As for mine, they're terrible! Embarassed The nails of my middle fingers bend down at one side, and one of my ring finger nails bends down too so, in order to get a decent length, I have to use acrylic/gel.

This was mine after my last acrylic soak off:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Linzi
Linzi

Back to top Go down

Post  kissmenow9 Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:08 pm

My nails grow rapidly - or they used to Embarassed At uni I have to deliberately bite down my index finger because it cuts into my thumb when I write if it's left to grow. My little and thumb fingernails are really, really, ridiculously strong, my middle fingers seem to be prone to chipping and peeling like crazy and my ring fingers always just grow to the perfect length and then no more :S Also, the nails on my left hand are a LOT weaker than the nails on my right. Really odd.

I'll take a picture later Smile
kissmenow9
kissmenow9

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:22 am

My nails are incredibly strong - wierd given I used to bite them terribly. The actually drive me a bit mad as they are such a bugger to cut but I feel I shouldn't complain really as other's struggle to get theirs to grow whilst I am hacking and sawing at mine to get them short enough so I can type every few weeks.

I had naked nails for years but stress meant I was chewing round the nails and the cuticles really badly so I started wearing polish again to put me off doing that - then I found all you guys and my old love of colourful nails returned. Bizarrely I think my nails were stonger when I didn't paint them at all, although they seem to be improving again - I think the neat acetone might have been a bit much!

Wierdly both middle fingers have had to be patched in the past few months as they have tried to break straight across just where the white starts - too low to cut them off without pain.

Once I take off the dodgy spots I'll take a naked picture (just of the nails - don't get worried).

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 am

Linzi I too tried the solar oil and I couldn't really decide if it helped as I still chew like a mad thing when I am anxious. The biggest problem I had was laziness though - the little brush was just too annoying, plus the cost!
So I read the ingredients, bought the basics and some little dropper bottles and have made some for myself - with a little essential oil added for a more interesting smell.

Its cheap as chips so where I mixed it in a tupperwear type pot I've sat with my fingers in it once - that was messy! So now I've taken to putting some in the fingers of a pair of latex gloves whilst watchign TV. I've done that a few times and my cuticles were a dream! Just need to find some other gloves as I've realised the latex slowly absorbes the oil and goes all a bit revolting after a few uses, need to find some vinyl disposables then I'll be set.

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  starrystarry Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Here are mine naked, took this photo yesterday after I'd chopped them down a bit and re-shaped them. God my hands look boring with no polish.
starrystarry
starrystarry

Back to top Go down

Post  HanSpan Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 am

Finally got around to this - lets see if I can post slightly smaller pictures than the last set!

and finally got them both to a reasonable matched size at attempt 4 or so!

Second picture displays my fetching tea bag & glue fix. A few days later I decided I'd had enough so they are all now extremely short and I'm really behind in the challenges as I just can't be bothered with them when they are this stubby Sad

HanSpan

Back to top Go down

Post  Babafette Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:59 am

Well, this is my naked nails yesterday after I've cut them and before I've removed the cuticles and generally tidied them up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Babafette
Babafette

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down